We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

I have just tried to buy domestic flight tickets online at Airasia, Garuda and Lion Air airline websites using a European (Spanish) Visa or Mastercard credit card and have encountered the same problem with all of them. When I try to buy a ticket online and try to make the payment, the cost indicated in the message I receive from Verified by Visa to confirm payment with my credit card is always 100 times the actual cost in rupiah !!! If the cost of the flight is let's say 500,000 Indonesian rupiah, the charge I receive to my Visa is 50,000,000 rupiah. It is as if the cost in rupiah would contain a decimal fraction, i.e. 500,000.00, which is converted to extra zeros in the amount in rupiah when the Visa transaction is made, even if the amount shown in the website doesn't contain any decimal fraction.

I was very much surprised the first time I was faced with this problem a few days ago with AirAsia. Then I could bypass the problem because in AirAsia website I could select the currency in which to pay, and when I changed from rupiah to euros, it worked ok. But today I tried to buy flight tickets with Garuda and Lion Air and found again the same problem, and none of them allow any other currency but rupiah! So I have not been able to buy any tickets from them since I would be charged 100-fold their real cost!!!

Has anybody else encountered the same problem???

Any ideas how to solve this? can anybody recommend a reliable travel agency in indonesia to buy domestic airline tickets and that will not overcharge too much for them? I am afraid of waiting until being in Indonesia for buying flight tickets, since costs may be much higher or I may not get seats on the dates I need.

Any info will be welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

try ticketindonesia.info, i used them last year and had no problems, there is a small surchage but it enabled me to book tickets with airlines that wouldnt accept my UK credit card on their own websites

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

Are you reading the numbers correctly? Rupiah 1 thousand sometimes appear 1000.00 just as $1 can appear as $1.00

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

Thank you. I will check this website.

My problem, though, is not that my visa credit card is not accepted, it is accepted. The problem is that the price in indonesian rupiah, for some strange reason, is automatically converted into an incorrect amount containing 2 extra zeros at the end, so 100-fold higher than the real price. Maybe if I finish the payment process, in the end the amount charged to me will be correct... but I have cancelled payment every time this happened, I cannot risk to end up paying 50 million rupiah for a ticket that only costs 500,000 rupiah!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

Yeah, I am reading the numbers correctly. The price in the website does not contain fractions, it appears as 500000 (which as you say, would be the same as 500000.00), but when I receive the code in my cell phone for authorising the payment to my credit card, then the amount appears incorrectly, having 2 extra zeros in the end, as 50000000 (without any commas or any dots) , which is not five-hundred thousand rupiah but fifty million rupiah! Maybe if I proceed further with payment, in the end the correct amount will be charged to me in spite of the message showing the wrong amount... but I cannot take the risk, since if they would charge the incorrect amount, that would be a lot of money!!!

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

Maybe you can go to your bank and ask a bank staff this problem about the final charge showed on your tablet?

Edited: 09 June 2013, 10:30
6. Re: problem buying airline tickets online with credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 05:16