We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resources for Overlanding - Indonesia

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
resources for Overlanding - Indonesia

Hi,

I will be taking a personal challenge and travelling for the first time overland in SE Asia including Thailand/Laos/Malaysia and Indonesia, and was keen to find out what resources people recommend for timetables, maps, any advice to avoiding known public transport destination scams (beyond common sense ).

Is the SE Asia Lonely planet good enough? or are there more specific resources recommended? I will be travelling with a tablet, but keen not to take it out on the road....but maybe for this matter, i should therefore buy a physical book

any comments would be gratefully appreciated

thanks

Mark

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resources for Overlanding - Indonesia

I would take your tablet with you..a 7 incher is very portable and will be invaluable for internet access. Put it in a good cover to protect from damage and you should be fine.

I would avoid the LP printed guides...they are obsolete very quickly, and the added weight (esp for several countries!!) TA and LP both have online apps, forums, etc. You will find as you travel that many people, including locals, are using tablets.

Travelfish is also a good online resource for SEA.

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resources for Overlanding - Indonesia

thank you kindly

Mark

3. Re: resources for Overlanding - Indonesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:17