We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month in Indonesia

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Topic
1 month in Indonesia

Hi all,

I'm planning my first trip to Indonesia in july-august this year!

We're flying into Jakarta and planning to backpack Java-Bali-Lombok and then fly back to Jakarta for our flight home.

So far I have been looking up loads of stuff but one thing that I find difficult to find is:

Is it easy to get from one place to another? Do you 'loose' a lot of time by travelling from one place to another? Are trains & busses convenient and easily accessible / figured out by foreigners? Or is it better to book the minivan-type-of-transport through travel agencies (which is probably loaaads more expensive)?

Another question I have: Is it easy to find budget stays while you're there or is it better to book beforehand through websites like booking.com (used it for my backpacking adventure in malaysia/thailand last year and was really cheap and easy, but have a feeling in indonesia the cheap places are not listed?)

thanks in advance!

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Let you know Idulfitri this year is 28-29 July so plan accordingly.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Hi SongbirdSally

As mentioned by sambal g. July may be a challenge for you to travel to Indonesia, as some food stall may close during a day, many hotel will be booked and people travel around. you may need to plan the travel a head and book everything before you go.

most convenient transport for foreigner to travel in town is by renting a car or TAXI , while moving from one town to others recommend to use flight or train.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Hi,

>>>Is it easy to get from one place to another? Do you 'loose' a lot of time by travelling from one place to another? <<<<

Yes, it's quite easy to get from one place to another as long as you don't go to less developed areas such as eastern islands of Indonesia. Flying is the best way if you want to travel in Indonesia, because of the distance between cities.

>>> Are trains & busses convenient and easily accessible / figured out by foreigners? Or is it better to book the minivan-type-of-transport through travel agencies (which is probably loaaads more expensive)?<<<

Trains are relatively easy while buses are harder. However signs in English is non existent in train station & bus terminals. Mind you that there is no train in Bali and Lombok, and renting a car in Bali and Lombok is the best way since public transport is terrible there. Flying is also the best way from Bali to Lombok.

If you want to travel intercity in Java, flying is the best way while train comes second. Intercity bus is OK for shorter distance (less than 300 km). For car rental, in town usage is around IDR 450,000/day including petrol and driver.

>>> Another question I have: Is it easy to find budget stays while you're there or is it better to book beforehand through websites like booking.com (used it for my backpacking adventure in malaysia/thailand last year and was really cheap and easy, but have a feeling in indonesia the cheap places are not listed?)<<<<

As mentioned by sambal g, 28-29 July is the peak season so you should book things in advance at least for the accommodation one week BEFORE and AFTER Idul Fitri. I strongly recommend that you start the trip after Idul Fitri (August), it should be the low season and the weather is also nice since it's still dry season. If you travel after Idul Fitri, you don't need to book accommodations because it's not peak season anymore.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Hi all, thanks so much for the usefull replies!

Our flights are already booked and we're arriving in Jakarta on the 28th of July, so just in time for Idul Fitri I guess :s So we'll be sure to book our accomodation in Jakarta in advance!

Although we're not planning to stay in Jakarta for a long time, maybe max 2 nights. We're planning to take the train to Yogya and I know you can buy train tickets in the train station on the day itself, but is there any way to do it beforehand?

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Oh and since flying seems to be the best option between cities/islands, which (indonesian) low-budget airlines would you recommend?

I've been flying with airasia a lot last year and pretty happy about their service, but don't think they're the cheapest option for Indonesia..

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Ouch... Anyway, the good thing about being in Jakarta during Idul Fitri is that the city is almost deserted. That is one of the rarest moments where you will find Jakarta quite empty.

However, given that it is the peak season, I strongly suggest that you take the flight from Jakarta to Yogyakarta. Train tickets will be fully booked even 3 months before, and it's hard to purchase train ticket from abroad.

You can take Indonesia Air Asia, Batik Air or Garuda Indonesia to Yogyakarta, if you fly on 29 July maybe you can get cheap tickets since it's the D-Day and people rarely travel on 28-29 July. They prefer to travel several days before and after Idul Fitri.

As I said, the peak season will happen 7 days before and after Idul Fitri, so you should also book the hotel in Yogyakarta far ahead.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Quite unfortunate timing with your dates. Normally I'd say travelling by train to Yogya is a good choice if you have the time, but that is likely not to be a good choice for that time. Be aware that most Indonesians take their annual leave right after Idul Fitri too, so many places in Yogya will be closed and/or operating on skeleton staff.

I would suggest you maybe re-jig your itinerary. When you land in Jakarta, hop on a plane to Bali and do Bali followed by Lombok. The impact to Bali of Idul Fitri is that it is swarmed by domestic tourists, but the Balinese themselves being Hindu are operating as normal (no shut downs etc). See Bali, travel over to Lombok and see Lombok, then fly from Lombok back to Yogya and make your way back to Jakarta from there.

Noida, India
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Indonesia is the major country to travel in this world.both nature an d culture are the major components for tourism in indonesia.The most tourist destination in indonesia is bali,west java,central java,east java,jakarta,north sumatra,lampung,Three quartes of indonesia's visitors come from Asia pacific region.If you want to travel all the destination in indonesia then one month month time is enough to travel in indonesia.the visa for the indonesia is free for 60 days.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

Tourist visa is for 60 days if you apply in Indonesian Embassy in your country, but if you use Visa On Arrival it is only valid for 30 days. IMO even one year is not enough if you want to cover all Indonesia :)

10. Re: 1 month in Indonesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:23