We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

London, England
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

Hi guys, I've just searched for 'visa on arrival' with 'work' and trawled through loads of thread on the forum looking for the answer to this and can't find it. I have, however, worked out that there are a LOT of questions about Visa On Arrival so I'm sorry to add another one to the throng! however I will be bringing $25 US exact money and following the directions given on the forum about how quickest/ easiest/ cheapest to get the visa!! so the searches so far have been useful from that perspective!

However my question is a different one. I have the opportunity of 2 weeks' work (I know, a very short term thing) in Indonesia for something in which I have a very specific area of expertise. It has been suggested to me that I can just get a VOA visa (I am British and have a full British passport with more than 6 months to run and plenty of blank pages) to cover this. The Indonesian UK website doesn't have very much information. The USA website says that it is OK to use the VOA visa not only for tourist purposes or private visits but also for 'temporary business' purposes, which I think fits me. However I have absolutely NO desire to fall foul of any immigration problems!

So since there are some very knowledgeable people on here, I thought I'd ask - is it OK to work (for a very short period, well within the 30 days) via a VOA visa?? I would be able to evidence my financial status and I would, of course, have the return flight booked too so the other visa requirements I think are fine. I would also not be expecting to want or need to extend the visa - this is literally a one-off occurrence of me getting a short-term piece of work.

All help gratefully received!

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

You cannot work in Indonesia if you are here using VOA.

London, England
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

Thanks very much for your reply.

This is the reason for my confusion:

www.embassyofindonesia.org/consular/voa.htm

It's the mention of 'business' in this sentence:

"This visa can be obtained directly when you are landed at the certain airports and seaport in Indonesia regardless of the purpose of your visits (Business, Tourist, Social)."

It doesn't seem very clear, sadly. Any thoughts?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

You need an employment visa. The Business reference for VOA is more for meetings for which you will receive no financial benefit. The link you provided goes on to say in big bold letters that VOA is not a work visa.

I would contact the Indonesian Consulate in the UK if you need to clarify though.

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

Who is your employer for this short term work assignment?

The law is clear: you are not allowed to work on a VOA.

And if you are going to work, your employer should obtain a work permit for you and the corresponding visa.

Should you be found out working on a VOA, you mat be blacklisted for future visits to Indonesia and your employer has to pay a fine/

However, the law is not always adhered to in Indonesia (and this is an understatement). If you should wish to discuss this further, send me PM..

Theo

5. Re: Visa on arrival - short-term work assignment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:18