We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Hi all,

I hope to visit Indonesia in December this year and am keen on hearing any recommendations about where I should visit.

Budget: middle of the road. I'm happy in clean simple rooms and I'll buy my food for respectable restaurants (I've had severe traveler's tummy in the past so am now quite careful)

I'm travelling by myself for part of it, and with a mate for other parts.

I'm interested in the culture, history, religion and natural beauty of the place. I'm happy to just walk, ride or train around and just look at the place and people going about their daily lives.

I'm less interested in beaches, sleeping or on the party scene.

I was looking at flying into Jakarta and then travelling along the length of Java (by train?) and stopping off at Yogyakarta and anywhere else recommended. I'm quite keen on having a look at Mt Bromo too. Should I catch a boat up to some of the northerly islands or should Java keep my entertained?

And then I was looking at flying out of Denpasar (either directly back to Australia or via Jakarta)

Many thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to visiting what I expect to be a beautiful and fascinating country.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Paul,

If you are only going for 12-14 days I would stick to Java and to Bali.

Indonesia needs to be taken slowly to really enjoy the place and the people who are the real asset of Indonesia.

West Java is quite amazing and the scenery along the Puncak Pass where many tea plantations exist as well as rice paddies. ( by bus from say Bogor).

You can get a bus from airport to Bogor ( DAMRI), stay the night and check out the Botanical Gardens and then ( NOT on weekends) get a bus to Bandung via Puncak Pass.

You could always get the train from Bandung to Yogjakarta and onwards.

I have scanned maps of Java, Yogjakarta, Solo, and the Bromo area I am happy to forward to you if you email me at pamela_fuge@yahoo.com.au

Pamela

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Great thanks Pamela!

How do the locals get around? I'd prefer trains over buses as I imagine they'll be more comfortable and safer? I guess trains are more likely to be air conditioned and have toilet facilities too.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Hi Paul,

Middle class Indonesians now prefer plane because it's affordable and of course faster. Sometimes the price is cheaper than train. But if you want to take land transport, train is better than bus.

For Puncak Pass route, since the Jakarta-Bandung toll road was established, not many buses are plying Puncak Pass route. There are some Bogor-Bandung buses but they are not air conditioned and quite notorious for the reckless driving.

If you want a scenic train ride, take day train for Jakarta-Bandung and then Bandung-Yogya route. From Yogya you can go to Malang by train to see Bromo sunrise and also spend a day or two in Malang or Batu, a beautiful hill town. From Bromo, you can go to Surabaya to catch the plane to Denpasar, or go to Probolinggo to catch the train to Denpasar.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Do remember that December is rainy season so Bromo might not be advisable...keep your options open.

From east Java you can take a ferry to Bali and work your way from Gilimanuk slowly down to the airport,,,stopping for a few days in between..then fly out from Bali (Denpasar) . Skip the southern beach areas like Kuta, Seminyak, etc.

Google earth is a great tool to use to see the topography and distances, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Thanks everyone. I'll do some reading and I'm sure to get back to you with some more questions over the next few days. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Hi all,

I've come up with a rough itinerary and I'm keen to hear what you think.

Nov 30th Arrive Jakarta at 1800

Dec 1 Jakarta

2 Jakarta to Bandung (train)

3 Bandung

4 Bandung

5 Bandung-Yogykarta (train)

6 Yogykarta

7 Yogykarta

8 Yogykarta-Surabaya (train)

9 Surabaya - Malang/Batu (train)

10 Malang/Batu

11 Malang/Batu

12 (spare time to fill somewhere??)

13 (spare time)

14 (Surabaya-Jakarta), 19:45 leave Jakarta

I must admit I'm probably not that excited about Bali as I have the idea of my mind that it's overly commercial and full of drunk Australians. Is there anywhere else in Java I should stick into my above itinerary? Or am I really missing out if I skip Bali?

Many thanks! :)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

No one can really tell you what placs to visit as everyone has their own likes and interests. You could easily spend months in Java and not see everything. Howeve, I'm wondering why you are focusing only on the largest cities. You seem to be ticking off a list of cities without a real agenda..

Also, Bali is certainly not all overly commercialized and overrun by foreigners,,,the areas like Kuta and Legion are about 1% of the island..There are many places that do not have very many hotels or restaurants, are culturally interesting, and where there are NO listings on Trip Advisor! But again, it depends on the person..

Did you look at Google Earth to see what these islands look like? You should also look at a guidebook to get a feeling of wht Indonesia is like overall. Good luck and happy planning.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

@Paul S - Consider travelling to Lombok for the remainder of your trip. Garuda airlines fly direct from Lombok Airport back to Sydney if you haven't booked flights yet. You can stay in Kuta (Lombok) where you're only 15 minutes away from the airport & you have access to numerous beaches & bays!

So:

Day 12 - Lombok

Day 13 - Lombok

Day 14 - Lombok, Evening flight to Sydney (via Bali)

Jakarta, Indonesia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

maybe you can go to Semarang before you go to Surabaya from Yogyakarta. You can go to Semarang by bus or train from Yogyakarta

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for a 12-14 day visit

Agree with ubudpuppy, only Kuta and Legian fit the picture of "overly commercial and full of drunk Aussies". There are places like Sidemen, Amed, Munduk etc. that is not too commercialized.

Paul, you can go straight from Yogyakarta to Malang by train. There are 3 or 4 trains plying this route although all of them are night trains.

Jefry w, why do you suggest Semarang? IMO it's better to go straight from Yogya to Surabaya.