We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Please beware of booking with this ariline to Bali, they have good rates however they do not provide the 5 star service they advertise.

Even the business class section of the plane from Doha to Denpasar does not have private televisions there is one screen at the front of the section for all.

The time of our return flight was changed without any notification until we came to reconfirm our flight 72 hours before departure. Although the time change made the flight departure time more acceptable at midnight rather than 3 o clock in the morning, it meant a 6 hour wait in Doha airport, compared to a two and a half hour wait in Doha. I would definitely not have booked a flight that had a scheduled lay over of 6 hours.

The flight from Doha is not non stop to Denpasar it actually stops in Kuala Lumpur for an hour to drop off and pick up passengers (not that many people got on). On booking the flight I specifically asked if it was direct and didnt stop anywhere on the way and was told definitely direct.

Although the price they are selling their seats for at the moment is extremely competitive it might be worth paying a little bit more and using a different airline - we have always previously used Singapore Airlines unfortunately they were full for this trip.

Flying from the UK to Doha was like a completely different airline to flying Doha to Denpasar. Until they either refit their planes or put different ones on the route I definitley will not be travelling the route with Qatar again.

The airline has passed the buck to the travel agent for not informing us previously with the time change, although I understand that yes it is the travel agent that has my contact details but a note on check in in the UK wouldn't go a miss just to ensure that travel agents are passing these changes on.

Just my personal views on my experience.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering about Qatar as they've got some really attractively priced flights starting up from the U.S.

Think I'll stick with Singapore Airlines and just bite the bullet on the ticket price.

Polegate, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Hi Jane

I am flying Qatar to Bali with my daughter in July and i had a similar experience, they told me it only stopped in Doha and it wasn't until i got the tickets that it showed the 1 hr stop over in KL.

I am flying out of LGW @ 11.00 and are due to get to Bali @ 16.05 the following day. this means a stop over in Doha of 3 hrs, i have booked the lounge @ £15 each so at least we get a seat and some food/drink.

On our return we are due to leave @ 00.05 and then get into doha @ 06.30 but i am then going back to LHR which is due to leave @ 07.50 which is only 1 hr in doha.

I am very confused that you had a lay over of 6 hrs, did you have these flights or were you going to Gatwick.

I am beginning to panic now, i have flown Qatar to Dubai several times and they were on a par with Emirates and much cheaper so i thought i would be Ok booking this flight as Singapore etc were £900 pp and i paid £550.

I don't think there is anything i can do now, if you can give me any advice i would greatly appreciate it.

We are only flying in Economy, were you in Business.

cheers

Claire

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

We was on the Manchester flight which is why the long wait in Doha. We originally should have left Bali at 03.35 but it got changed to 00.05 (yes a better departure time but extended wait in Doha). Our tickets even had different flight numbers than what we travelled on, we booked the tickets in December so I guess Qatar was going to put direct routes on Doha to Bali but maybe a lack of passengers made the need to combine with the KL flight. We travelled Business class so got the business class lounge its more a principle of not being given any information about time changes until we reconfirmed out tickets and nothing about KL until we landed there!!!

Polegate, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Hi Jane

Thanks for letting me know, i do hope you enjoyed Bali

cheers

brown5

London
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Hi ! brown5. Have had an email from airline network confirming we do stop in K.L as you said earlier. Am now very confused about the type of plane we are flying in!!!! On the booking it says it is a 333 to Doha and an AB6 to Bali ,but on the Qatar website none of these planes are in their fleet. Are you aware of what you are flying on?

We are flying from Heathrow. Sue

Polegate, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

HI Sue

It is all very confusing i know, we are flying from Gatwick to Bali and then having to return to Heathrow.

Our planes going out are

Airbus A330 to dona

Airbus A33/600 from doha to bali

on the way back

same plane from bali to doha

but Airbus A340 to Heathrow

The A330 & A340 I think are the newer planes and they have seat back tv's etc but what i gather is the doha to bali is on the older planes which are pretty bad

Maybe if someone has flown on this they could give us an idea of what it is like.

cheerc

brown5

London
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Thanks brown5, Also I cannot work out how long the Doha -Bali leg of the flight is? Can you help?????

Polegate, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

HI there

I meant to say that you will prob have the newer plane out of LHR to doha so that part of the let should be ok.

Doha to KL is 7yhrs & 40 mins

1 hour stop over in KL

KL - Bali is 3hr 5 mins

so the total time is 10 hrs 45 mins

I know it is a long time but think of the great time you will have in Bali, we are there for 28 days so cannot wait.

Cheers

brown5

Polegate, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

HI there

Have just read what i said and my spelling is really bad, sorry guys but i hope you understand what i was saying

cheers

brown5

London
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar Airways - Beware!!!

Many thanks brown5 try and put a post on here if you can.