We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Layover question can someone help?

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Long Layover question can someone help?

I have never travelled this far with so many stops. If our flight leaves San Francisco and stops in Hong Kong and then Bangkok before reaching Bali do we have to collect our bags each time?

We have a couple hours in Hong Kong so I figure they will just move them to the new plane, but we will be in Bangkok for 9 hours (overnight). We booked at the new airport hotel for Bangkok and I need to know if I should pack all my overnight stuff in my carryon or if we will have our bags.

Thanks!!

10 days till we leave for Bali!!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

It really depends on what airline you are on - some of the budget carriers make you take your bags off and re check in at each destination ... However it sounds like you are on Singapore Airlines or similar... in which case you will be able to check your bags straight through from San Fran to Bali as long as you are not leaving the airport area (going through immigration) - It sounds as if the airport hotel you talking about is a transit hotel? (i.e in the transit lounge?)

If so you will need to pack your overnight things in your bag... you will need to pack miniatures of any toiletries (less than 100mls to comply with the air regs)

BTW the new BKK Airport is fantastic - I was there in Feb! (definitely worse places to have to hang out for a few hours!)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

Thanks, BrigidE.

We are flying United to Hong Kong and then Thai Airways the rest of the way to Bali. They are one of United's partners for Asia flights. We are on Singapore on the way back. I didn't realize that United didn't fly in Asia so when you use frequent flier miles they book you with partner airlines. Is Thai Airways a good airline?

We are staying at Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel in Bangkok, we figured it will kind of keep our sleep patterns normal if we check in and catch a few hours of sleep before we get back on the next flight.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

BrigidE,

This may be a dumb question but what is a transit hotel (lounge)?

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

If your hotel is out side the Airport you will have to collect your bags and go through immigration... I am pretty sure these days with all the security measures you can't check your bags straight though in this case.

A 'transit hotel' is a hotel actually within the Airport it's self - it means you don't have to go through immigration etc and can just relax /sleep/ shower etc within the confines of the Airport until your flight - but you can't leave the Airport area - (I have used the one in the Singapore airport before)

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

I was wondering about that myself, Brigid. On my way home, I have a layover in Singapore from about 6 pm to about noon the next day. My bags will be checked through to my final destination on the US east coast. I doubt I'll leave the airport, but if I wanted to would I really be prevented? As you say, it seems to make sense in these days of heightened security. I'm just curious whether it's truly the case that people who check their luggage through can't leave the airport.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

No - they definitely won't let you leave the airport with out your luggage..

We often have a 6 hour layover in Singapore when we are traveling from Bali to NZ on Singapore Airlines ...

Immigration is really quick there so we just go through - pick up our luggage and put it in the left luggage storage area (by the Airport MRT train station) then take the MRT into the city - very quick and easy!

There are also ATM's in the same area of the Airport so we just get out some cash to get around with/ spend...

Just be a bit careful with your timing though.. Singapore airport are very strict with boarding times etc....

I think there is also a 'transit' sight seeing bus tour you can do without going through immigration - ie you are not allowed off the bus! (not my thing that's for sure!)

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

Thanks, Brigid. Very good to know. Due to my timing I may just stay at the transit hotel, as by the time I got downtown it would probably be 7 or 8 pm. However, my husband and I will go going again next year and may plan for a longer stopover in Singapore.

Ellen

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

I would definitely suggest booking the transit hotel prior to your trip as it gets quite full up - I have the address in a file somewhere - I will dig it out for you later on ... It isn't a 'flash' type place but it is a welcome relief after being stuck on a plane for so long!

There is plenty to look at/ do/ eat / shop in Singapore air port anyhow

(I just get a bit bored these days as I was there 8 times - thats 16 airport visits - last year!)

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

Wow! That's a lot of time in an airport for you! :-)

I've actually tried doing the booking online, and I received a message back stating, "Due to our volume of traffic, kindly allow us to revert on the status of your booking within the next 7 days. Thank you for your kind understanding."

Hopefully they'll respond ... otherwise I'll give it another shot.

Thanks as always for the great info.

Ellen

just outside NYC
Level Contributor
315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Layover question can someone help?

Erik, if you have 6pm to noon -- I would consider going into Sing for the night. There are some great restaurants (Clark Quay has many with international flavor). If you're on Sing Air they have a stopover option, you just need to book it before you leave the states and hotels are cheaper. I wouldn't just stay out at the airport. JUst watch your travel time back for the flight out.

We did a two day stopover and it was incredibly efficient, and we actually ended up booking our own hotel and taking cabs.