We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

We will arrive in Bali in late February and have only one day. from 9am to 7pm. We spent a week in Ubud years ago.

We do not know where the cruise ship dock is and would like to visit Ubud perhaps, do some shopping, visit villages, maybe snorkel, whatever would be possible from where we are docked.

Thank you for your help.

Bali
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

Hi clairann2000,

Can't you find out where the cruise ship dock? Although it'll be most likely at Benoa Harbour, but still there's possibility that I might be wrong. Is it the Star Cruise?

The deepest harbour in Bali is either Benoa Harbour or Padang Bai.

If your ship docks at Benoa Harbour, then you can visit Ubud, shopping at Sukawati or Guwang art market, snorkel at Lembongan (just rent a fisherman boat from Sanur) as most cruises from Benoa to Lembongan leaves around 9 am.

If it's Padang Bai then you can visit the Balinese traditional village at Tenganan, the Besakih mother of temple and snorkling at nearby Padang Bai beach or Candi Dasa.

Is it the first time you join a cruise? I believe that they'll offer you a day tour in the cruise anywhere, although the cost is more likely a lot more higher than what you pay locally.

Hope this helps,

Sandra

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

This is a cruise on Oceania cruise lines and yes, they do offer shore trips, but we want to explore on our own...I appreciate the input on the two harbors and since there are two, I will contact the cruise line to see which one we will be using and then I think I will need to contact a driver.

thanks so much

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

Padang Bay is where the ship will dock...thank you for your assistance!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

I would book a driver (get some Email addresses from this forum) and get them to meet you at the ship.

The ship tours are too expensive. Also taxis that meet the ship will overcharge you also.

Find out how big the drivers car is. Perhaps you can get few people from the ship to share the costs.

Don't forget to fit some shopping time in (AWAY from the port).

Where are you travelling from/to?

I've done 3 cruises this year. I'm cruised out for now but I will do more.

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

We travel from Sydney north to many northern australia ports, komodo, semerang, bali, singapore, ko samui then bangkok.

How long does it take to get to Ubud from the port? Is that the best place for shopping/culture? Do kecak dances happen in the daytime anyplace?

thanks for the advice...totally agree a driver is what we need.

Bali
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

Kecak dance always in the evening as it needs the effects of the fire they are using during the show. You just have to watch t on your next visit then.

Cheers,

Sandra

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

Hi Clairann - We'll be on the Nautica, in Dec.-Jan going from Singapore to Sydney and will also have just one day in Bali. Glad to hear you know where the ship will dock - have you found a driver? We, too, think the ship's excursions are toooo pricey and would prefer to do it on our own. We'll have 7 people in our group and hope to find a minivan type vehicle. Thanks for any info you might have.

Ridgefield, Wa.
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

We were on a cruise and stopped in Bali in Nov. We had a great driver for the whole day. He will take you wherever you want to go. The cost for four people was $60US for the whole day! I would be glad to give you his name. Pat

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

SashaandSheba - Would love to have your driver's name. Do you know where we can be located or perhaps a description of him and his car ? Did he take U.S. currency? Whatever - sounds likea great deal. Thanks

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: One day on a cruise ship;..Please HELP

Sorry - that was addressed to Pat.