We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Americans traveling to Bali

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
784 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Americans traveling to Bali

Are there any specific tips for someone considering a trip to Bali from the US? What is the best month for travel to Ubud? Which is best, to see Ubud or Sayan? How far is it between the two areas? About how many days is suggested to see two or three areas of the country? What are the best modes of travel around in and around Bali? It is a 30 hour flight from the USA, so I know I want to stay at least 10 days.

Marla

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Americans traveling to Bali

Hi Marla,

Last year was my 1st visit to Bali & I stayed 12 days but it was no where near long enough so this summer I'm going for 4 weeks. There is so much to see & do that I'd recommend staying as long as you can!

Temperatures in Bali vary between 21-32C, higher elevations can be cooler.

The dry season lasts from May to September, August is the coolest month which is when I will be there. The hot rainy season & high humidity lasts from November to March.

January is the wettest month with late afternoon thunderstorms.

April & October are transitional months with intermittent rain & sun.

Humidity is around 75% year-round.

Sayan is in the Ubud area & according to the guidebooks the scenery here is some of Bali's most dramatic with stunning views.

You could stay in Sayan & travel easily into Ubud.

Ubud is the cultural centre of Bali for painting, stone sculptures, woodcarving, batik, jewelley, kites, masks, puppets & live dance performances. Each village surrounding Ubud tends to have a different artisitic focus. e.g.Mas for woodcarving.

You can also take guided walks in the area, white water rafting, Elephant Park, Monkey Forest, Bird & Reptile Parks, temples, markets, museums, spas & numerous restaurants. Lots to keep you busy!

Often a shuttle bus or a hotel driver will transport you to local places or you could take a taxi. Hiring a driver/tour guide is also a good option at 300,000 to 450,000rph a day & really quite cheap.There are also local bemos which are cheap.

Other places you might stay or visit are Sanur, Legian/Kuta/Seminyak, Amed, Lovina or another place on the north coast, Nusa Dua which has more luxurious hotels but lacks the charm & culture of Bali as the area was developed for tourism. Seminyak, Kuta & Legian are good for shopping sprees & restaurants. Kuta/Legian are also renowned for surfing.

Personally I prefer to stay in several different places. Bluebird taxis (light blue) have fixed price meters & are cheap.I tend to book a driver when I am moving from one place to another & do a tour at the same time.

Hope this helps

Ursie

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Americans traveling to Bali

We are headed over in a month and will be in Bali for 12 days with 3 days in Hong Kong on the way back. We also have two days after we arrive home to adjust before going back to work. Take as much time as you can. There is a lot to see and it can also be very relaxing if you want to take it easy.

Personally, we picked April as a shoulder season. There should be less rain than earlier months and it does not coincided with any of the Australian school holidays. Bali resorts can get really filled up at this time and often charge more. If you have ever been to Hawaii in August, or Orlando during easter week you should have some idea.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Americans traveling to Bali

Hi Nutmegg

Just so you know there Australian School Holidays in April starting from 5th April through till 28th April. Not every state is on holidays as the same time but just wanted you let you know.

Colesy

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Americans traveling to Bali

AaaaaaaHHHH Colesy!

My first experience in Bali was Kuta Bali 10 years ago in July. Hopefully it won't be that crazy. We are staying in Sanur and way out of Ubud so it should be mellow. I figured the holidays would be closer to easter. That explains why so many places were booked.

Thanks for the heads up. (at least the prices were not to high)

Meg

5. Re: Americans traveling to Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:19