We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back from sanur and sambirenteng

western australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Hi All

Great time was had by our family of 4. We have travelled to Bali many times now and often like to try new accommodation. This trip we had 10 nights which we split between Zen Villas in sanur and Villas Agung Bali Nirwana in Sambitenteng (3 hours north east). Have written reports on these villas separately under reviews- they are now up on the reviews pages if you want to look at them.

Sanur was very good - we like its more laid back style- ventured into Kuta a couple of times only.

Highlights of Sanur for us were;

* the daily walks from our villa along the beach path and back up the main street back to the villa- it was about an 8km loop for us, we like to walk. The beach was looking good, clean and the tide was in so the water looked clean and inviting. It's enjoyable to walk past the street vendors, say hello and watch life unfold in the mornings. We swam a lot because the weather was warm and dry and we were keen to relax.

* We frequented Hardys supermarket (on a daily basis I think), to stock up on grocery supplies and bits and peices. Upstairs is quite well stocked with clothes, shoes, souveneirs (?sp) and sports equipment. My 17 year old found Fender bass strings for his bass at a very cheap price. Got some great Timberland tshirts at about AUD $3/each for the husband and other assorted items. Also enjoyed the bookshop and the breadshop in the complex.

* Made my annual pilgrimage to the ceramic "factory warehouse", they sell Sari Bumi pottery at knock down prices. It is located opposite Hardys. Square serving platters at about AUD$5.

Restaurant wise we ate at Sudut Senang, Laghawa, Lumut and Picadilly in Sanur. Tried the beach restaurant at the Kumala Pantai the day we went to Waterbom. Ate our breakfasts mainly at The Zoo cafe in Sanur.

We travelled up to Ubud one morning to do a Bali Bird Walk with Victor Mason. It was US$33 including lunch and just outstanding. The tour ran from 0900 until about 2pm after lunch at Murnis Warung, we were a group of 10 with Victor and Sumardi (passionate Balinese naturalist) leading the expedition. Spotted about 20 different types of birds with many other wild life sitings- snakes, dragonflies, etc. There was an article on the tour at this link

hellobalimagazine.com/pages/edition/october-…

Highly recommended!

Visited Waterbom Park in Tuban which was fun, good value and great fun for kids and adults. Shopped in Kuta mainly for clothes and shoes- bought new Nikes from Nike store near Waterbom. We also bought a couple of Nike Plus IPod kits - major bargain at AUD$20 (rrp here $50)- they are the kits that you use to track running/walking stats. Oldest son stocked up on good shoes and trendy clothes.

Our trip to Sambirenteng was smooth- 3 hours from Sanur along the east coast. The drive in itself is interesting. The villas didn't fail to disappoint and we spent our time walking, reading and swimming. There aren't many tourists up that way apart from those that like to dive and stay at Alamanda. I think we provided a bit of local entertainment puffing our way up and down the hills in the mornings. Our highlight here was being invited to the villages full moon temple ceremony. The villa staff helped us to dress in traditional clothing and took us with them. They explained the ceremony and the prayer component. It was a great experience fo our family.

The snorkelling off the beach at the villas wasn't very good this time as the water was very churned up but previously it has been great. An artificial coral cage has been sunk about 50m out from the villas which attracts a lot of small colourful fish and other marine life.

We briefly dropped into Singaraja to stock up on groceries and check the emails. Had the best nasi goreng of the trip in one of the 4 restaurants at the end of the pier.

Overall greatly relaxing trip.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

"Restaurant wise we ate at Sudut Senang, Laghawa, Lumut and Picadilly in Sanur. Tried the beach restaurant at the Kumala Pantai the day we went to Waterbom. Ate our breakfasts mainly at The Zoo cafe in Sanur."

Thanks for the post - can you tell us more about your restaurant experiences please

western australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Irish Rover

All restaurants in Sanur were on Jl Danau Tamblingan. Sudut Senang is Dutch owned with a combination of Dutch and Indonesian inspired dishes. Prices were pretty good. Claen restaurant with quite a few tables occupied, we noticed on some nights tha it looked full.

Laghawa was middle of the road in terms of quality but extensive european/Indo menu. Good value but very quiet the night we were there.

Picadilly is very modern and impressive to look at, themed decor with a European- German influenced, and Indo menu. Moderately expensive. We all enjoyed our meals.

Lumut used to be an old favourite, it is nice to sit upstairs. The menu has been pared down quite a bit but there are still lots of dishes to choose from. They do black rice for dessert which our kids love. They also do a lot of pastas which I enjoy. Prices were moderately expensive. It was my favourite of the 4 we ate at in sanur.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

thx for the JBR gillg, its good to hear of other places in bali. was thinking about sanur + somewhere else for my next visit.. legian is getting a bit much regarding sellers.. also the beach was a real state.. i spent 4 days in amed in feb and loved the laid back atmosphere, so peacefull and hassle free !!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Thanks for the report its sounds like a nice relaxing holiday...

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Hi,

Enjoyed reading your JBR as I'll be staying in Sanur for the 1st time this year, so useful to hear of restaurants you visited, am also looking forward to visiting Hardys.

Haven't come across Sambirenteng, is it worth a visit as I'll be based on the east coast at Amed for a couple of weeks with a few days in Ubud inbetween.

Bet you enjoyed the full moon ceremony. What did it entail, I'd be interested to hear?I've been invited to a ngaben ceremony this August, said yes I'd love to come then looked up on the internet what it was... a cremation ceremony! I must say that I love the balinese culture though & am really happy that my friends have invited us. Have you looked at Jock's photos of Nyepi Day celebrations they're absolutely brilliant, wish I'd been there myself.

Can't wait for my holiday now!

Ursie

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

"Made my annual pilgrimage to the ceramic "factory warehouse", they sell Sari Bumi pottery at knock down prices. It is located opposite Hardys. Square serving platters at about AUD$5."

Could you please tell me where this place is?

Thanks

Sarah

xx

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

The seconds shop is actually a factory outlet for the famous brand - Jenggala Ceramics - their product is usually quite expensive in their regular stores - they also make for a lot of the 5 star resorts here. (It is great stuff - I have tons of it as I live around the corner! - you have to check each piece carefully though as they are 2nds)

Here is a link so you can see the type of things they sell http://www.jenggala-bali.com/

The factory outlet is right across the RD from the Hardys supermarket - next door to Batur Jimbar cafe and the pantry on the main rd (Jalan Danau Tambinghan) in Sanur - there is also another factory outlet on the Sunset Rd Kuta - it doesn't have a sign that I remember but it is in a little group of shops - next to a pet shop and a picture framing shop (on the left hand side if you are coming from Seminyak)

western australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Hi Ursie

Re visiting Sambirenteng, if you are based in Amed I'd say not, the village itself is very small and there is not anything specific to see that you can't see in Amed.

Cambridgeshire
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Hi, we are thinking of getting married in a 2 bed villa at Zen Sanur.

We are still a little unsure of a couple of things.

Are the villas big enough to hold a very small wedding (just the 2 of us)

Are the grounds around the villa as shown on the images, images look like they have been taken with wide angle lenses.

Finally, are the villas private in that some images we have seen show the shrubs around the garden to be a little thin in places although we obviously don't know how old the photos are.

Hope you can help.

western australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back from sanur and sambirenteng

Hi Wallymotors

The photos are realistic but in that it is spacious but the outside shots do look as they are slightly widened. Even if there were just 2 of you I dont know that the area by the pool would actually be large enough to accomodate a ceremony as such- if the pool loungers were completely moved it would still be smallish as the bale is right there and wouldn't be a functional space.

The plants between the villas have grown in quite well but we could see from our villa into one of the next door ones easily from the balcony, less so from pool level.

Are you considering any other locations?