We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

Hi all,

apologies for a super long post, i am so keen to visit bali but have so many questions! there seems to be heaps of useful information on trip advisor - this is a great forum...but with so much information im feeling really overwhelmed and dont really know where to start, everywhere sounds fantastic!!

basic outline is that id like to take my boyfriend to bali in early december for his 21st birthday. Looking for a more romantic, enjoy-each other kind of holiday but still able to experience bali...

I really like the idea of Seminyak - still get a taste of the action, but not as full on as kuta sounds. Ive talked to a few travel agents and because we are both young they seem to keep pushing me towards Kuta but it just seems a bit too full on for us (sounds wierd i know!) I have a decent budget, and was thinking something like 4 or 5 nights somewhere in seminyak (maybe a few in a villa and a few in a resort or if we can get a good price on a villa, all in a villa!! hehe...seems like all the really nice resorts in seminyak (ie oberoi, legian, anantara) are very expensive? Havent heard much about niksoma though - can someone advise? all over though, the villas seem great. Some of the few that i really seem to like are Villa Uma Sapna, Kamuela Villas, and Disini Villas, however also like The Villas Bali Hotel and Spa. Which of these would you recommend? Also what are the breakfasts like? Most of these places say breakfast served in villa - is this continental style with no cooked items or a full breakfast? how does it work?

Having visited thailand three times and in love with it, i have been spoilt with big range of breakfasts in the big resorts. however, since i am paying for this trip myself, bali seems more appropriate for what we want and better price (thailand is not as cheap as it used to be i have found - accomodation wise anyway, and always very over-crowded these days)

Another idea i seem quite keen on is having a couple of nights at the hai tide huts? these seem quite popular on this forum, yes? Ij ust want to ask a little about the shared bathrooms, is it invasive or wierd? How is the food/breakfast etc and are they safe? I heard someone mention Dream Beach at lembogan and some photos look gorgeous..small but very pretty! is that far from hai tide huts? Also any particular hut that i should request? (this goes for all accomodation!!)

am also tossing up with ubud - from friends etc, peopel seem to love it. Although me and my boyfriend are more beach-orientated kind of people and without sounding horrible, not too cultural!! (im sure we would enjoy it if we took the time but its not something we do voluntarily) Whats the vote on ubud? save it for a day trip (only relaly want to see monkey forest etc! haha, my boyfriend loves stuff like that. do you actually see alot of monkeys? do you get to feed or anything? i know in thailand first time i visited about 5 years ago we went to monkey island on a day tour and were over-run by cheeky monkeys and hand feeding them bread and bananas, ireckon at least 50!! the second trip we saw 2 monkeys in total with about 20 other people on the island with us, and the last trip no monkeys at all!?! very dissapointing!

also if we found a nice villa for a few nights in seminyak - would you recommend a resort in jimbaran bay or sanur - just to experience a few different types of accomodation, you know enjoy the privacy of a villa but also be able to make use of some of the fantastic resort facilities? what are some nice resorts that you recommend that are far enough away from kuta but close enough to visit during the day or night if we felt the need? has to be about $150 aus a night or up to that range...can you still get something nice for that ?

anyway im sorry this is a huge post...basically i just have been reading so many reviews and looking at so many resorts and because everything seems great, im now a little overwhelmed and cant find a starting point. i basically want a nice, relaxing holiday for me and my partner - not too expensive and to introduce him to asia - hes never been anywhere in asia (which i love having frequented thailand, malaysia, singapore etc many times)

accomodation recomdations, areas etc would be muchly appreciated!!!

thanks heaps and hope to hear from you all soon!

stephanie :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

Also love the idea of the new safari park - anyone stayed in the villas and have any info on pricing? it is very hard to come by!! ta

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

hi all - me being annoying again!! have found another property which looks beautiful - Villa Kipas...does any one know anything about them? havent found many reviews, are they one of the closer villa properties to the beach?

for now ive been thinking a possible itinery of:

3 nights at legian beach hotel (central?) however my only question is, is it very close to kuta? is there trouble in the area? would it be closer to kuta or seminyak? It seems to be the only higher standard hotel in our price range

then a night at the new accomodation at the safari park (mara river safari lodge) - looks like alot of fun and my boyfriend LOVES this kind of thing!)

then maybe over to lembongan - two nights at hai tide maybe? just for something a bit different...

and to finish off 2 or 3 nights in a classy villa of some kind - had a few ideas mentioned above but i just found the Villa Kipas and i think they look perfect!! someone please reply haha, im so excited about this holdiay and although its over 6 months away, i would like to book within the next month just to guarantee i get what i want!!

hope your all having a great day :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

hi all - me being annoying again!! have found another property which looks beautiful - Villa Kipas...does any one know anything about them? havent found many reviews, are they one of the closer villa properties to the beach?

for now ive been thinking a possible itinery of:

3 nights at legian beach hotel (central?) however my only question is, is it very close to kuta? is there trouble in the area? would it be closer to kuta or seminyak? It seems to be the only higher standard hotel in our price range

then a night at the new accomodation at the safari park (mara river safari lodge) - looks like alot of fun and my boyfriend LOVES this kind of thing!)

then maybe over to lembongan - two nights at hai tide maybe? just for something a bit different...

and to finish off 2 or 3 nights in a classy villa of some kind - had a few ideas mentioned above but i just found the Villa Kipas and i think they look perfect!! someone please reply haha, im so excited about this holdiay and although its over 6 months away, i would like to book within the next month just to guarantee i get what i want!!

hope your all having a great day :)

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

hi, i cant comment on any of your accommodation but i can say that KUTA i feel is a little " to full on " kuts is great for shopping lots of options, busy bars etc.. beach is/was good.. now can be full of rubbish washed up on the shore as its got so popular.. UBUD i have only visited for a day really amazing place, i have been to the moneyforest + safari+ marine parks these are deff worth a visit, you see plenty of monkeys at the forrest+ you can feed them.. a few links of interest for you..:

http://marariversafarilodge.com/

http://www.balisafarimarinepark.com/

http://www.monkeyforestubud.com/index.html

also i`ll pm you my web address for lots of photos of both moneyforest + safari+ marine park so you can see for yourself !!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

Hi Stephanie,

I also can't comment on any of the accommodation you have mentioned, but I would tell you are correct in thinking Kuta/Legian is full on, and if you don't want everything "in your face" save it for a day of shopping. The shop sellers are much more persistent/aggressive in Bali than Thailand and are at their worst in Kuta.

We love Sanur and as you are introducing your man to Asia for the first time, yet alone the craziness that is part of Bali, it is a much gentler introduction.

Last time we were in Sanur we looked at the Tandjung Sari hotel, it is beautiful and full of character, the rooms we looked at were very romantic. If you do stay in Sanur stay around this area as it is best for restaurant shops etc. down near the Hyatt is a long walk up to where the restaurants are on the beach and the markets.

Nusa Lembongan is really pretty, mostly just for relaxation and water sports, we stayed there for 3 nights in a private villa and loved it. The trip around the island is interesting, but besides that it is just locals going about their lives without to much concern for tourist, beautiful beaches that when we were there had dangerous currents, and hotels.

Dream beach was pretty but very dangerous when we looked last August, maybe different times of the year different tides? nothing is far on Lembongan as it is a small island.

Ubud is one of my favourite places in the world, and you will always see lots of monkeys in the forest. Yes it is full of culture and art but this carries on to all aspects of Ubud including the food, clothes/shopping and some of the most beautiful accommodation in the world. Not on the coast but with pools with views like these hotels have who cares!

Hope you have a great holiday.

Cheers Deb.

cooloola
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

Hey Stephanie I know what you mean by being overwhelmed with info . We go in June and it took an age to choose accommodation . In the end we decided to base ourselves in one place (Ubud)and hire a driver to do day trips from there. Have a look at the following website www.filosbali.net and go to "bali travel forum recommendations" within that site.In here you will find heaps of info on Bali in one place, which you can copy and edit to your needs. You can then use this as a base file to add other info you find and want to keep as reference for your trip. Hope this helps give you a start. Cheers

Coolmood Cooloola

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

hi i will go into a bit more detail later , but for your age , i was talking to a guy same age who stayed at contiki in seminyak and loved it , have a look at that and later on i will fill you in on a bit more , i have to go now , so i dont have time ,

cheers

batt

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

hi everyone, thankyou for all replying! you've given me some great places to start! i myself am also in a rush but cant wait to get home and browsing again haha...!! :)

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

hi steph, i have now had time to read your post properly .

you dont say how long your actually in bali for ????

i have just done bothe thailand and bali together and the sellers are much more aggressive in bali for sure .

legian , well i still love it , it has places that you can totally relax in , but if your looking for something a little clasier then i would say stick with seminyak . you can still shop and have some fine dinning there & still go to legian or kuta if you want to easily by a short taxi ride.

ubud is a very quiet layed back place , not really that much to do there in the night scene , so at your age you might find it too boring.

sanur is nice , but the sellers on the beach can be worse than the ones in legian or kuta , it is a quieter version of legian and seminyak & a beautiful spot , but once again , might be too quiet for your age and it is a fair drive from seminyak .

I'm in my 40's and i think lembongan is great for a day trip , but i would find it very boring to stay overnight ...and thats at my age !

it is good to have some privacy and quiet time , but not for the whole holiday , you will get bored with each others company and start to want to explore and chat with others .....well i know i do anyway , we run out of conversation after a few days ....lol ...so its great to chat with others about what they have experienced in bali.

my suggestion to you is ....

stay in ubud for a few days in a really romantic spectacular villa and be pampered and enjoy each others company & the romance that a villa can give you .

then head down to seminyak and stay at a not so fancy place maybe on a cheaper budget ( so you can afford the luxury in ubud )

there are many nice places here where if you get bored you can interact with others or still have your privacy .

you can do day trips from any area in bali without a problem , transport is usually included in the price , so they will pick you up no matter where you are .

we went through the bali safari and marine park and thought how good it would have been to stay a night there so maybe have that 1 night there on your way to seminyak .

lembongan , just do a day trip otherwise you will find yourself living out of your suitcase and believe me , it gets annoying always packing , un packing re packing and loosing days traveling and checking in and out of hotels ...such a waste of time if you only have a short time there .

hope this helps

cheers

batt

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice Please - so keen but where do i start?!

thanks batt, all your advise sounds great. I ended up talking to my boyfriend about it last night, just so i wasnt telling him a week before we went and he didnt want to go!! he was stoked, very very excited and i showed him some websites and hes over the moon. i think we've decided to stay in seminyak for most of the time and just do day trips, plus a night at the safari cause hes really into that haha...we plan to be there for 10 days (1st of dec-late at night on 10th december) and thought we would split our time between a nice resort and then maybe 3 nights at the end in a really nice villa...i tried to talk him into ubud but he just didnt seem that interested haha...so i think we mght just take it as it comes and do lots of day trips ie to the monkeys and out to lembongan :) also is waterbom worth it?

now comes the tricky bit of choosing where to stay :) who has reccomendations? around US 150 a night for the resort and up to 250 US a night for a villa....obviously can be cheaper if something is good value!! i just want to make sure its a fantastic birthday :)

maybe a question for a bit later would be for good drivers? and also i know in thailand you can hire someone to take you out to all the secret island spots etc on a private boat - do they have a similar concept in bali??

thanks all again ... i am so so excited now haha

:)

thankyou