We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bali police (highwaymen0

uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
bali police (highwaymen0

Back from bali after 19 days stayed at the Jayakarta in Legian,had a car with driver for 8 hours cost 30000 rupiah. what i found very bad in bali were the want of a better word THE POLICE they stopped our driver twice in the space of 40 mins and demanded from him 5000 rupiah a time for their drinks and cigs, this was done openly known to their senior officers. to all motorist who were stopped by these highway robbers. tourists and local alike when i asked the driver what would happen if a tourist refused to pay he said they could plant something on you or will find something wrong with your car or motor cycle. I expect to get ripped of by dubious money changers and hawkers but not by the police it would be interesting to see what the Bali government is going to do about this, i just had to get this off my chest and i will be putting a few more topics of my stay when i get over this jet lag

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

That is really disgraceful! So basically you just have to pay or you dont know what could happen? thanks for the advice...goin to bali for first time in 2 weeks so dont want to find myself in any trouble lol!

US
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

Two comments:

First your driver was evidently not licensed to carry passengers and hence his fines, so actually he wasn't being "ripped off" per se. The fines are typically being used for personal benefit of the officers though.

Second, there are some efforts to discourage this practice. Not driving yourself and hiring licensed drivers whenever possible are two ways to help with this unfortunate practice.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

Hi Flexfitness,

Hasn't happened to me but I've heard that it's a common practice!

My daughter had her bungalow broken into a couple of years ago & the police demanded money for their lunch & later for their travel costs to chase after the thief. She spent hours at the police station, along with the staff from the bungalows who the police accused of the theft. She later regretted reporting the theft because of the way in which the staff were treated.They were innocent but were very frightened & intimidated.

Ursie

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

police bribes happen all the time. every one of my trips i have had at least one stop to pay bribes. did you know that the police have paid for their training and they pay for their own uniforms, guns etc. it is a 'high profile' job and the huge expense of becoming a police officer 'pays off' so to speak.

cars will be stopped and bribes paid for poor tyres, being in the wrong place, no seat belt in the front seat, not licensed to carry tourists etc the list goes on.

if the bribe is paid quickly you get to move on out of there. if not things get worse. just pay up and forget it.

it seems nothing will be done to 'fix' this problem it is such common practice.

this is unfortunate but things operate differently to what we are used to.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

Hi

Haven't you ever heard the expression about the indonesian police - 'The best police force money can buy'????

It is very sad but it is very true - I have been told that you can only get into the police force if you have money and that the only way to become a policeman of higher rank is to pay your way there. Therefore, highly ranked police are wealthy people who can afford the rank. It is fairly well known in Bali that the best jobs are in immigration, police and the army but you need money to enter these careers. It is a bit of a joke that the anti-corruption conference was held in Indonesia.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

Hi there.. I presume you mean 300,000 per day for your driver [30,000??]

This is way too cheap!!

I suspect your driver was not licensed for tourism.

An unlicensed driver is easily spotted by the police as the licensed car has special number plates and disc.

Im not condoning the police bribes. However Bali/Indonesia is not the only place in the world where this is common.

Your driver may have been a bit of a highwayman too.

If you pay too cheap a price, he will need to make money elsewhere with commissions on your purchases/hotels/restaurants.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Bali and jet lag soon gone! It is a long haul indeed from Uk, but always worth it.

uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

My driver was a licenced driver from a proper tourist company i was even given a receipt, the fare was 300000 rupiah about £16, he was not the only one one stopped everbody was stopped bothways, and had to pay these thugs, its no use making excuses for them saying they have to pay for their own uniforms etc,at the end of the day they our just uniformed thugs it like saying the police in the western world can stop you and demand money from you because their morgate has gone up, these bent policemen were openly abusing their powers with full knowledge of their boses.

Mandurah, Western...
Level Contributor
443 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

This also happened to my driver Eddy Kus whilst I was doing a day tour in Bali in January. My friend and I were quite taken aback when the car was pulled over and we watched as Eddy and other drivers had to hand over money. Eddy said it was a regular occurrence, he felt angered by it but said there was nothing they can do, it's either hand over some money or they will find something illegal in or on your car. We felt sorry for the locals, who struggle enough as it is.

Cindy

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

flexfitness you must have misunderstood. you say "no good making excuses" re buying uniforms etc. i am certainly NOT making excuses just informing people that this is how a person becomes a police officer.

i DO NOT agree OR SUPPORT this behaviour. saying they pay for their own uniforms, guns etc was just passing on information as to how their 'system' works NOT making excuses. if you are not a regular traveller you would not know this information. Unlike other countries who pay people to do their training, become police officers and provide all necessary uniforms etc the bali police pay their way to become officers. the system works in reverse so to speak. not many have the money to do this and becoming a police officer is one of the better jobs in bali. many families save for years and do without to pay for a family member to join the police. the cost is huge. once they are trained they make most of their money through corrupt behaviour. they even demand tourists pay for their lunch and pay for them to investigate a crime should you be unlucky enough to be in this situation. not many tourists drive in bali. imagine the problems if you were in an accident you would be paying a huge amount to the police to get out of trouble. people renting cars and scooters should only ever carry a small amount of cash (or have 2 wallets) so when they are stopped for bribes they only lose a small amount.

Sydney Aussie
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bali police (highwaymen0

Hi, I could share many stories of my encounters with local polise in Bali while living there for 6 months with my husband (then fiance) and travelled around both by car and motor bike. We paid alot of money to police for 'smokes' and my hudsband was so accustomed to doing this that he didnt bother questioning it anymore. I of course was just as outraged as most of you are so I couldnt help but argue. I am not advising people to try this but it does work most of the time. The police couldn't stand me whinging and saying we had no money on us, that they took pity on my husband for having to put up with me that they let us go!! Once he was pulled over on the other side of the island and had his licence taken and was told he could get it back the next day for 30,000 rp. What a pain that one was, renting a car again for an extra day just to go back to get it!!! Police can get violent so be careful, I know an aussie girl that was on the back of a local guys bike and when he didnt pull over to have a check of his bike the police standing on the road hit the girl on the back with his torch (police issue) and left her with a nasty bruise and welt! I will end this by saying .....this police practice does not happen in Lombok, the police there are great!!! Jules.