We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

Is anyone familar with his studio outside Ubud - looks interesting - you get served lunch and then can browse through his studio. I wonder if the prices are better than in the States (I would hope!!) - very pricy here considering the pieces are all made in Bali. Also, would there be "knock-offs" anywhere?? I realize you are paying for his design but just want to do some comparision...

Thanks for any input!

Nikki, Colorado

US
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

Hi

Yes we went to the JH complex and made some purchases a little more than a year ago. The question of discounts comes up often.

Before our visit, a substantial discount to US prices was available. I don't know if this is still the case. We inquired about discounts and were told that we were receiving the discounted prices.

At the time of our visit the items we purchased were not available in the US so it wasn't possible to compare prices. Some months after our return, one of the items we purchased (22k gold) was offered here at the same price we paid and another (silver with gold accents) at a price which would indicate we received a 33% discount.

However, John and Cynthia have sold their ownership in the company (and the use of John's name also btw), to their partners since our visit. Both now serve as consultants. So, I have no idea if discounts are offered now. I'd suggest an email to JH and ask them directly.

The workmanship is amazing and the designs unique although using traditional Balinese themes and techniques. The benefit is that nearly all the items are available and can been brought out for you to see.

I didn't see any JH knock-offs although I went to nearly every store in Ubud and several large shops in Celuk. I can recommend visiting Prapen in Celuk. It has a large showroom, a great selection of well-made jewelry at substantially lower than the designer prices at JH but the pieces are different. Their building is great architecturally also.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

I was there about a year ago, and it was great. Don't know what changes if any have been made since the sale.

The factory is interesting to visit aside from the products due to the unusual design of the bamboo and alang alang buildings. The product display is definitely different.

The prices I paid were about 40% less than Neiman Marcus. Its hard to compare, because the selection in the USA is so limited, but the factory has almost everything available.

I think its best to make an appointment before going.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

There is some lovely silver jewellery in Ubud at Hari Ini silver. It is on the road down the side of the football field opposite Tut Mak restaurant.

Also Hisu [sp] silver and Ada Ada silver, both on Monkey Forest road.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

Thank you all for your replies....lots of options! I suppose I will make an appt and visit the studio - they serve lunch!! - and see what's up...

I also will make note of the shops recommended along Monkey Forest Rd...thanks.

Thanks again!

US
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

Hi Nikki

Do plan on two hrs at JH for the tour and lunch; three hours if you intend to spend time considering a purchase. Many of the collections aren't on display so any of the items that you see in the catalog will be brought to the showroom for you to try on. We were there for 3+ hrs and never did get a tour LOL.

Alam Kara on MF Rd.(and another location in Ubud) is most definitely worth a visit since its pieces are of different style (less intricate, contemporary style) than all the other shops. Its a small shop with very good quality.

If you are really serious about jewelry shopping do visit Prapen Jewelry when traveling near Celuk (maybe 5 mi from Ubud). They probably have the largest selection of quality jewelry on the island on display there.

Level Contributor
225 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

There is a lovely woman, local to here, that market's her own line of jewelry which is produced in Bali. They are not knock-offs, because she makes her own designs, but there are similarities. The pieces are very pretty, simpler and the prices are considerably less.

Her designs are sold in high end boutiques and catalogs like redenvelope and uncommongoods, etc.

Unfortunately, her website is currently being updated but you can give it a try:

http://www.kathykamei.com/index.asp

wolfman
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

You can get John Hardy jewelry, the real stuff, for less than you think. I believe the company owns or has a very tight connection with jewelrygalboutique.com. I found this because the location is very close to their distribution center in Hong Kong.

Why buy it from a retailer when you can get it straight from the designer at a much cheaper price. Heck ya! Time to buy in multiples eh?

Bali/Surabaya
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

Hello All...

Of course, due to the recent "meltdown" in business around the world...jewelry has been the hardest hit, due to its' luxury status and not being a necessity. I work in factories in Indonesia, Bangkok and in China and have for many years as a technical consultant, and the jewelry inustry is an absolute mess right now. Bali is no exception.

I am certain that one can find many bargains and deep discounts in every shop at this time. I imagine that KTI (JH) would have its' share of bargains as well.....

Platinomanic/"Doc"

Bali/Surabaya

9. Re: John Hardy Jewelry...or look-alikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 17:16