We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on west coast?

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling on west coast?

We will be staying near Canggu and wondering if there is any snorkeling in the area or if that activity is mostly on the eastern coast of the island. Thanks for any advice.

Nikki in Colorado

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling on west coast?

the water generally on the west coast is too murky for snorkelling but there are protected pockets where there you could snorkel.

i do a bit of snorkelling in bali but i've done none on the west coast.

i've see the balinese snorkle up at medewi about 2 hours from canggu but i don't know how they seen anything at all.

i've snorkelled at a number of places on the east coast and the north coast and they are much better for snorkelling than the west by far.

the bukit might be good too but the waves and currents are strong.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling on west coast?

The ocean at Canggu has big waves and strong currents. It is a surfing area and is similar to Kuta/Seminyak but the beaches are quieter.

The best snorkling is in the Amed area on the north east coast, or the Pemuteran area on the north west coast.

Probably the nearest place for you would be in Sanur, but not sure how good the snorkling is there.

However it is well worth a day trip [an overnighter even better] to visit another part of the beautiful island.

You will pass through stunning scenery and find calm clear water with incredible marine life.

In Amed you can snorkle directly from the beach.

In Pemuteran it is reccommended to take a boat out to Menjangan island

3. Re: Snorkeling on west coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 02:18