We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMED area recommendations

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
AMED area recommendations

Hi,

We'll be staying at Blue Moon Villas for a couple of nights in late August. I've seen mixed postings on what is in 'walking' distance from the hotel. Are there any nearby restaurants / bars we can walk to? How far is the Sails Restaurant I've seen mentioned (do they have a webpage.. I tried to google and didn't find one but google isn't always infallible).

Also, my hubby wants to dive, which are the best PADI certified dive outfits there, and if you recommend any 'must do' dives please do! We have a day and a half he can probably dive, and he's been diving for years.

Is there a decent spa near Blue Moon if I wanted to get a massage while he's out diving? I'm a snorkeler but don't dive. I did see mention there are some nearby snorkel spots, does the resort rent snorkel gear?

Otherwise I will probably just pick up a cheap pool float before we leave Sanur and sit in the pool with a book and cool drink most of the time he's off diving :-)

Any other sights in that area we should be sure to catch?

Thanks!

Andrea

perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AMED area recommendations

Hi Seaislegal,

We stayed at Blue Moon in May and loved it. I hope you booked the Penthouse rooms they are beautiful.

My hubby used Euro dive and was thoroughly impressed. He did the dive off the US Liberty came back so excited at all the different fish and that he got to go into the wreck this time. There is also a smaller japanese wreck but we were not there long enough to get to that.

There is a small bay just down the road which is perfect for snorkeling - not much of a walk really. Just watch out for the tides, the staff at the hotel will be able to let you know when its best to go out for a snorkle - and may even come with you! The equipment looked ok from what we saw, but we took our own as we dont like using strange mask's.

To get into "town" it would be a good walk. We ate at Blue Moon for all our meals and they were all delicious and resonable price.

Do make sure you get up at sunrise and watch the fishermen go out in there boats - its amazing.

Next time we are going to hire a scooter and get to go off exploring as the roads were not busy - and I am sure there is so much more to this area than we got to see.

I probably have not been able to answer many of your questions, but I know you will have a nice time at Blue Moon (the goats and roosters are the only downer when your trying to sleep!).

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMED area recommendations

Jodess,

What time is the sunrise? I've seen posts saying sunset is around 5:0-6 (any good sunset views?) but not one that said what time sunrise is. I'm never a morning person at home (the polar opposite) but on more laid back vacations I get up way earlier so might actually make a sunrise!

We have the Blue Ocean suite booked currently. I definitely have the industrial strength earplugs on the packing list (need them anyway with the hubby's snoring) so should be fine with the dogs/animals nearby.

Are there any spa services offered through the hotel or nearby? Any info on how you liked the hotel / restaurant / grounds is definitely appreciated!

We have to get there from Sanur, and then on to Ubud after Amed. Did you use the hotel's transportation/transfer and if so how were they (A/C, speak english, condition of car) and were they willing to stop enroute, as we'd like to stop for lunch / photo ops? If not do you have any recommendations on who to use?

Thanks!

Andrea

perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AMED area recommendations

Andrea,

Sunrise should be around 6.30am, sunset 6.20pm.

I dont think the hotel does offer spa services, but I am sure if you ask them the question they would be able to arrange something for you - Sue & Komang John are very helpful!

We found the hotel beautiful. The grounds are well kept, there are 2 pools & plenty of sun lounges. We loved the restuarant, the food was beautiful and fresh, all washed in bottled water (not once did we even get a tummy rumble). Breakfasts are good, nice and big! We used the pool next to the restaurant as they did not come to the upper pool and offer service, it was easier to give them a kind wave from the lounges there. This pool is also a little more shaded (I think the villa you are in may be right next to this pool). Make sure you try the chicken burgers - the best I have ever tasted!

At night Komang John wanders and greets his guests (he sat and had a drink with us), which I thought was a great touch.

The rooms are immaculate, no phones, no room service - they have a small fridge.

Transfers - hmmm. We paid $45USD for 4 of us. It was a white van - ok not brand new or anything, but dont sit in the back seat, the shocks are very loose and bumpy. We found the drive out to Amed ok and he did happily stop at the diving shop on the way in for hubby to book his dives, but going back he was on a deadline to pick people up from the airport and OMG, we thought we were going to have a head collision on at serval points of the journey. The driver had exceptional english (he was Komang's brother) actually most of the staff do. I think if you want to stop along the way to ask the question now incase they are on a time deadline on the day.

Amed is beautiful. I am jealous.

Jodie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
377 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMED area recommendations

Hi Andrea.

You may be better off having a driver to take from Sanur to Amed. You can then work out a route with him and stop at several places en route. We are going to Amed in three weeks time and will stop at Tirtagangga (water palace) and Bali Aga Village/ Other places on the way are Klung klung and Amlapura. Have a great trip - Barbara

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMED area recommendations

Hi Andrea,

Here's a copy of a PM Kabirgirl sent me when I asked her about spas in Amed:

There is a FABULOUS spa place at Bunutan.. it is 500 meters after Apa Kabar villas on the right hand side as you head towards Lipah.

It is called A SPA ]very original!!]

However it is fantastic. Set in the fields with nature all around.

It is run by Pak Sudi.. very gifted masseuse and lovely man.

His staff are well trained and gifted too.. all girls i think.

The calming back treatment is wonderful.

Not beach prices.

Think the prices start around $US18 for massage

$US12 for manicure/pedicure.

Mandi lulur [the full treatment] is about $US35 if i remember well.

Phone them and they will pick you up [gratis]

I googled it & here's a link

www.balispaguide.com/spa-search/…

Also from amother post by Kabirgirl:

Selang beach is a small sandy bay with a mix of golden & volcanic sand. Fabulous snorkling directly from the beach. Blue Moon Villas are perched above this beach, with stunning views & great restaurant. Deep Blu Studio is a dive shop just beyond Blue Moon Villas.

At Amed village there is a good dive company called Jukung Dive

www.jukungdivebali.com

Owner is Dutch & there is also an English instructor there who owns Geria Geri Shanti Bungalows next door.

Last year I went out on a jukung to watch the sunrise, it was amazing, in the dark, the plankton glow like tiny pinpricks of light.

Amed is a great place to chill out, I'm sure you'll love it! Also watched the sunset from a viewpoint on a hill near to Apa Kabar Villas, the water sparkles & it's a brilliant photo opportunity.

Ursie

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMED area recommendations

Hi again,

Typo error! Should be Deep Blue Studio.

I have the mobile number of a driver I use who lives in the area. He is a driver but not an unofficial tour guide like Dean & his crew. He drove me about safely last year, took me to places, stopped off for photo shoots of the rice terraces etc but tends to wait in the car/nearby while I'm sightseeing. My daughter drove all over the island with him the previous year. I can PM his number to you if you want.

Also have a friend in Amed who's cousin is a driver, haven't used him yet but plan on sussing him out this August. Haven't got the driver's number but can give you my friends number also.

Ursie

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AMED area recommendations

Hello Andrea... Lucky you!!

There are wonderful massages and spa treatments at Blue Moon Villas.

They are provided by A SPA as mentioned in Ursies post.

The massesuse/tharapists come to Blue Moon for your treatments.. or provide you with transport to their small spa in the rice fields.

Blue Moon is approx 15 mins walk to Sails Reastaurant in one direction and the Pavillion restaurant [good too] at Baliku resort.

Life in Amed is not quite as far.

There is a bar/restaurant at Deep Blue Studio, less than 5 mins walk away.

Great snorkling directly off the beach next to Blue Moon. Selang Beach. Quiet sandy beach with calm clear water

8. Re: AMED area recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 20:17