We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Well here I go. I haven't slept in over 36 hours so I apologise in advance for the spelling and nonsense to follow.

The flight over was only a third full and mostly schoolies. And as we were going off to schoolies ourselves (that's what our friends said we were doing) and travelling with our schoolies son, it was fun. The poor hosties were run off their feet keeping the drinks up to them. Within a few minutes our son had made a heap of friends, which was great as his mate who was to travel with him pulled out a few weeks earlier.

We had booked the VIP VOA through TravelCo Bali so were met and whisked straight past the lines. This was $45 USD per person, including the VOA of $25. In the time it took me to use an ATM the guy was back with our documents in order and we waited about another 2 minutes for our luggage. Straight out through customs to the taxi booth. Very cool. And may I say that it impressed the hell out of all the schoolies. lol.

We arrived at Villa Puri Ayu, dropped our luggage and headed to Mago Restaurant to surprise our friends. We hadn't told them we were coming, they were expecting us in January. Well, there wasn't much screaming but alot of giggling, running and waving of arms in the air. I managed to get most of it on video. There were people running at us from all directions, slipping over as they negotiated the turns around tables. So much fun to watch.

Quite awhile later we returned to our villa. We had a 2 bedroom garden villa that was huge. Our eldest son has just purchased a 2 bedroom unit here in Brisbane and our villa was almost twice the size. It had 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, dining and lounge, as well as a private walled garden and bale. It wasn't new, but everything worked well. The only issue I could find was that the thatch was just about at it's use-by date and there must have been a little water leakage through in a couple of areas. This was making the ceiling flake in a few small areas. Daylight showed us that they are in the process of rethatching some of the buildings at the moment.

The next day we went to Carrefour to buy our Smart phone. 120,000 rupiah of talk time for 120,000 rupiah and you get a free phone. This deal lasts until the 31st December. It took about 24 hours for the number to become fully active. In that time it would only make and accept calls to certain numbers but after that time it was great to keep in contact with son. We will use it again in January when we go. It costs 1000 rupiah/minute to call Australia using this phone. It doesn't seem to make SMS though but smart phone to smart phone is free talk time.

I ordered 2 pair of prescription glasses at Discovery for about $200 less than 1 pair would cost here.

The exchange rate fluctuated from 7500 to 8000 over the week, so that has improved.

There seemed to us to be a few restaurants now able to get imported alcohol. The places that do have it though have increased the prices. Where basic spirits and cocktails where 35,000 in July, they were now on average 40,000 each now in the same places.

Can you believe that I had never had a creme bath before. Why had no-one told me what I was missing all this time. I even gave up one of my massages for it, gladly. Never thought I would say that.

We walked the length of the paved walkway on the beach at Sanur. Our son was offered 6 different teenage daughters as his bride along the way.....Ooooh your son handsome, he so tall. I have 15/14 year old daughter for him to marry.....

We found the famous Lazer Bar that Noodles raved about. They were suffering along with everyone else from the alcohol shortage, but great drinks, great staff and nice atmosphere. We will return.

That night we ate at a restaurant called LAGHAWA. It's on the main road not far north of Hardy's on the opposite side of the road. Very nice menu, great food at very reasonable prices. The seafood, according to Hubby was as good if not better than Jimbaren Bay, at half the price. The only down side was the price of the alcohol. They had it, but it was very expensive. Basic spirits 65,500, Cocktails 70,000 to 80,000. But as the food prices are so reasonable it wasn't so bad. 3 of us had 3 courses each plus drinks for 660,000. Despite the drinks prices, we will return here as the food was so good.

We did have to do a little business while we were there. We spent half an hour with our shipping agent examining the contents of our latest container which is leaving in about a week. That was enough to justify the trip, wasn't it?

We visited the Sukawati Markets and were suitably impressed with the prices when compared to the Ubud markets. We will not be going back to the Ubud markets, put simply.

We also visited Tirta Gangga for the first time. All the way there Dean kept asking us if we were sure we wanted to go there. After we left he asked us if it had been worth the trip. He was of the opinion that it was overrated. We were glad to have seen it, it was beautiful and coming from drought ridden Queensland seeing that much water running off constantly, was quite unusual for us. We feel guilty if we flush the toilet, water has been in so short a supply for us for so long. It was worth the visit and fun seeing the local kids strip off their school uniforms to swim.

Sunday we took our friend Ary and her 2 children (7 and 4 months) to the Safari and Marine Park. Unfortunately a small child had passed away in their village the day before so her husband Wayan had to attend the cremation so couldn't come with us. We had a great time, despite this sad news. 7 year old Putu rode an Elephant with me (something I have always wanted to do) and had his photo taken with a tiger, lion, python, feeding a baby elephant and orangutan (spelling). As I said in another thread, we have been to Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida and this park left them for dead as far as the visibilty of all the amimals and the amount of interaction you can have with them. All of the animals were well fed and happy (not sedated as some have suggested) and very active. We were particularly impressed with the white tigers. You could tell that they were very happy. They were extemely active even in the heat of the day, swimming and sitting in the water right up against the glass. We were literally cms away from one of them for about 10 mins. He watching us and us watching him. Got some great photos. Bronn, one of the orangutans wanted to come home with me. He posed dutifully for the photo then swung himself around to face me and was hugging me so hard and stroking the back of my head. When the line started to build up, the keepers had to literally peel his fingers from around me, so I could get up. It was amazing.

Kuta was almost deserted though. There didn't seem to be many tourists at all. Hopefully it will pick up over the next couple of weeks. But the atmosphere was just as fun as always. No post-execution tensions at all.

Well, unhappily back in Oz and counting the days till our next trip to Bali. Only 37 sleeps to go!!!!! And speaking of sleep, it's about time I got some.

Jatiluwih Green Land
Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Tirta Gangga
Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bali Butterfly Park
Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,737 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Welcome back to reality Whinnie! Thanks so much for taking the time to write the JBR so soon after you're back! I might print this out and read it in bed tonight ;)

For once I agree with you about Lazer in Sanur, doesn't look like much from the street, but you're right about the staff, very friendly and cheerful. Did you speak to the ever-cheerful Ayu? I've often wondered what Laghawa was like for food, I might give it a try next time based on your recommendation.

Can't believe you're back there so soon, you are truly blessed.

Down Under
Level Contributor
692 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Welcome back Whinnie...although why bother coming back??? Only 37 days to go until your next trip, will you even bother to unpack your toothbrush ;o)

We too are counting down, about 32 days to go until we take off. You have written a great JBR and I have a question for you..

We are going to do the Safari and Marine Park and have been advised by Snooky and others to just pay the entry fee of about US$25 and then pay for photos seperately...around 100,000 I think Snooky said for a photo with an animal.

You friends 7 yo seemed to have alot of photos taken, was this 100,000 each time with the tiger, lion, python, feeding a baby elephant and orangutan?

Also how much did you pay for the elephant ride?...my son would love to do this he is 7 too.

Thanks Whinnie

T :O)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Thanks guys.

TMT, the elephant ride is 100,000 per person. You can also feed the elephants for 10,000 extra per person.

The $25 entry fee entitles each of you to a photo with 1 of the 4 animals using your camera(the snake doesn't count as one of the 4, you can just have your photo taken with it). If you want a photo with any of the other animals you pay a professional photographer (I think it is 80,000) for each extra animal. There were 5 of us in our group not counting the 4 month old. We all picked which animal we wanted our photo with. My hubby didn't have his taken with anything except the snake so we used his turn as an extra for Putu. The other photos with him in were because the handlers were really good. We just asked if Putu could go in with one of us, so he ended up having his photo taken with all of them, just because the staff were so nice. They also didn't mind us taking the baby in for a photo with each as well. You get a good few minutes to take your photos so we just passed Putu and the Baby in to whichever of us was having their photo taken with that animal. For the tiger the kids are with my son, for the lion they are with their mother, the orangutan with me, etc. Not strictly what we were supposed to do, but for the younger kids they didn't seem to mind. They would probably draw the line if the adults tried to do it though.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Thanks for your JBR Whinnie - you make me feel very guilty as i never do one. I really enjoy reading those written by others but don't think I could make mine sound really interesting. I will have to keep a diary next time I go so I remember everything. I do remember all the restaurants though so maybe I should just do a foodie's JBR?

48 days to go for me but then I was there for 32 in Oct/November so I ought not complain?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

The first step is admitting we have a problem, ilab. I freely admit I'm addicted.

Down Under
Level Contributor
692 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Thanks for the info Whinnie, I'm hoping to use mine and hubby's photo slots for the boys as we have done the "photograph with animal" thing, sounds like it may be possible.

Now get some sleep :o) Only 32 more for me.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,737 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Ilab - don't put yourself down, I'm sure that any JBR effort will be greatly appreciated. If you feel like you can't be yourself, do it in the style of your favourite author. My next JBR will be in the style of JK Rowling.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Hi Whinnie Gr8 JBR,

Can you pls tell me where is the Sukawati Market ?

Tks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,945 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

welcome home whinnie. loved reading about your holiday. mago restaurant is a great place. i go there every trip. i didn't realize that is where your friends are! did you get up and do some dancing? i checked out your photos on facebook. very nice.

i still have not done my JBR. i need to get started on that. lol. keep your bags packed you will be off again before you know it.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR - How can you have such fun doing nothing?

Good read Whinnie. :) :)