We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol buying problems in Bali?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol buying problems in Bali?

I read in the media buying wine etc in Bali restuarants and bars is a real problem now, following government clamp downs on importing alcohol. In January will we be able to buy wine with our meal at a resturant in Kuta etc (and at a reasonable price)?

Mentioned in this post
Kuta District, Indonesia
Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol buying problems in Bali?

That is a hard question to answer. I just read an article in today's Sydney Morning Herald that said there was going to be an alcohol shortage in December and January and what alcohol was available was extremely expensive. My advice would be to bring your own alcohol from Australia or become a beer drinker - the Bintangs are really good and I am not usually a beer drinker.

Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol buying problems in Bali?

LVL Check out the thread on "What to drink?" I had the same concern. Lots of ideas on what to drink whilst in Bali.

I was really looking forward to "happy hours" and relaxing with a cocktail watching the kids play and the sunset on the beach.

My girlfriend gave me an idea to pack a couple of bottles of wine in your suitcase, and have your bag secure wrapped at the airport.

Secure Wrap encloses luggage in multiple layers of clear plastic to protect the luggage against theft, from items being inserted into the luggage, accidental opening, as well as handling and rain damage.

The Secure Wrap service is suitable for a wide range of luggage including suitcases, carry bags, golf bags, prams, car seats, backpacks and boxes.

The cost to Secure Wrap luggage is $10 (including GST) per item of luggage, regardless of its size or weight.

Your luggage will not be opened and searched...APPARENTLY!!

She has done this on several occasions, I would try it but we fly out of Port Hedland.

Not sure I'd want to get caught with the extra alcohol in my bag though.

3. Re: Alcohol buying problems in Bali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 14:19