We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mobile Phone

Hi everyone,

What is the best way to organise it so I can use my mobile phone to call home (Western Australia) whilst I am in Bali?

We have a next G mobile, are with Telstra and on a business direct plan.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

NJay

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phone

Hi we are on vodofone and we just get a sim card over there and use it while we are in Bali, alot cheaper than roaming etc. not sure tho if you can do this with Telstra. Our phones are just ones you put $ on when you want to.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phone

If your phone is not locked to telstra, it is cheaper to buy a sim card over there.

If it is locked you can ring Telstra and ask them to turn on global roaming. This is very expensive though as you are paying for 2 service providers for every call or sms, even if you are receiving the call. Over a week spent in Bali it adds about $250 to my monthly bill as we have to have my phone for receiving business calls while overseas. But then the business pays for the extra charges, too.

The other option is to buy a cheap pre-paid phone over there. That is what we have done for making calls while we are there, but we travel there regularly.

3. Re: Mobile Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 05:21