We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Just returned from our 1st trip to Bali and our first impression couldn't have been better - no-one waiting at the visa desk, only a couple in front of us at immigration and our bags on the conveyor belt waiting for us - outside of terminal in about 10 mins we thought we might have been in for a long wait as the plane landed at gate no 1 (we were thinking maybe we should have gone with one of the VIP services glad we didn't) must have been our lucky day. Flew with Garuda from Sydney - great flight.

We stayed at the Aston Bhavana Villas (formerly Sesari Villas)in Seminyak perfect location just a short 10min walk and you were in Eat Street (laneway next to Ultimo's). Beautiful villas and nothing too much trouble for the staff, lovely cooked brekky in your villa every morning and afternoon tea by your pool.

We booked a couple of day tours with a driver that had been recommended by friends, one to the Volcano and surrounding areas and the other to Lovina and everywhere in between. Beautiful country side. Caught a taxi to Kuta one day much prefer Seminyak also went to Jimbaran Bay must have gone the wrong day as it was disgusting, westerly wind blowing and the rubbish in the surf and on the shore YUK certainly turned us off eating there maybe next time.

Walked to Eat Street and tried a different restaurant every time. Really spoilt for choice all meals excellent.

Just a bit of trivia -

Mossies - none, didn't use any insect repellent

Toilets - in all couldn't fault any even the one at Git Git falls that was owned by the kiosk owner 1/2 way down or up as the case may be - didn't realise it was their private one - tour guide told us to use it. The best Seminyak Centre - just remember to take toilet paper from wall near the hand dryer.

The worst Sydney domestic terminal - Virgin side.

Bali Belly - none.

Weather - sunny to cloudy with some rain at night nothing to stop you from getting out and about. Except our last day huge storm around 3 o'clock about 2 inches of rain in 1 hour and was still raining when we left for airport at 8.30 pm so didn't feel too bad leaving.

Returning to Bali - more than likely one of the most relaxing holidays we have had. Next time we will be only taking backpacks as once again we packed to much and with the cost of laundry so cheap and the fact that you can purchase toiletries cheaper there than back home you can travel light. The only downside I can see about backpacks is the restriction on what you can buy in Bali might have to rethink that one.

Many thanks to those of you who helped make our 1st trip very enjoyable with very helpful hints and suggestions. I didn't ask a lot of questions just did a lot of searching and was a regular reader of this forum for the past 6 months. Keep up your good work.

Sandy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Great JBR, so glad you enjoyed it. I love to read about other peoples trips. They always say pack light and a backpack with carry on is a great idea. Remember you can always buy a suitcase to pack all the shopping in for your return. Hope our trip through VOA and customs is as quick as yours.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your JBR, it was great. We are off to Bali in about a week and a half. It will be our 1st visit so it was good to read your views, you being a first timer too.

Any must do's, hints or tips for us?

Cheers,

NJay

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Thanks fransan, really pleased you enjoyed your trip and that you found this forum helpful. Thankyou for taking the time to give us all some feedback.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

NJay

Pack very lightly as the laundries outside the hotels are very cheap and plentiful, we had 5 pairs shorts and 5 shirts/tops washed and ironed and it was only 15,000 which is approximately $2.00, so working on that you only need one or two changes of clothing plus your swimmers and as someone said you can always buy more when there. We did a lot of walking day and night and felt completely safe at all times and if you find that you have walked to far it is no trouble at all to catch a taxi home but if you do walk make sure you have plenty of fluids.

Next trip my first stop after checking into the hotel would be to a supermarket - we discovered Carefour- and stock up on the essentials like beer, water, any toiletries you may need and if you have kids any drinks and snacks as we found this huge supermarket reasonably priced. I can't remember what my husband paid for Bintang but I do know that it was the cheapest we found.

When changing money the advice we were given was only go to the ones that don't charge commission and make sure you are the last to count it. There are plenty of sign boards in the streets showing the rates we had no problems when changing money although we did stay with the same one all the time.

Just relax and have a good time I'm sure you will enjoy it we did.

Sandy

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Sandy,

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. This forum is great. I have been pretty much the same as you, not posted too much but been reading everyone else's posts, just taking everything in.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for sharing. I will make sure I post a JBR when we get back and hopefully I will be able to help people too.

Cheers,

NJay

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,454 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I especially appreciated the toilet comments.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

OH OH Watch out, Lock up your toilets everyone.....Noodles is back.

It's been so quiet on here with both him and Battling away.

8. Re: JBR - 1st trip to Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:18