We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for first trip to Bali!

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Help for first trip to Bali!

Hiya my boyfriend and I are heading to Legian at the end of May this year for the first time...I was wondering if anyone can suggest what to take with us? I have found small doses of information through these forums...but am getting swamped by info!!

Also we are staying at the All Seasons and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good tailor that is really close to the hotel?? (I know everyone recommending Anika's and Janokos (sorry for spelling!) but they sound like they would be a good taxi ride away!).

Any info would be really really appreciated!and thankyou in advance!

victoria
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

It can become overload after a while can't it?:)

My advice is to take 2 favourite skirts, preferably cotton/cheesecloth that can be screwed up in a suitcase, 1-2 shorts, 2-3 tops. It is a beach scene for the most part and being a new comer you will buy some clothes there. You don't need a towel, soap or loads of make up and hair products.

DO TAKE cotton underware, I like my own shampoo, skin care but you can get there, take your own good sun cream and a pair or 2 of comfortable sandals.

An excellent tailor is located right next to your hotel- Brisbane Tailors, they are very professional and high quality and make suits, shirts, dresses and alterations.

Just remember less is best and you can get laundry done from 80 cents an item.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

When we go to Bali, we take 4 sets of clothes (including those we wear on the plane), 1 pair of shoes which we also wear on the plane, sunscreen, antibacterial wipes, prescription medications. Buy everything else there it is much cheaper, including your toiletries. Just get your laundry done every 3 days or so.

The two of us can go for 10 days with all our stuff in 1 carry-on bag.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

Hi,

A currency convertor is really useful. You can download it then laminate it & carry it around in a pocket or handbook....I use it all the time.

www.oanda.com

It's the cheat sheet that you need to click on

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

thanks papadop and whinnie...so do you think its best to just take carry on luggage and buy a case over there to fill up :)? I am very attached to my salon shampoo & conditioner and am scared to think what my hair would turn out like with some from a pharmacy over there etc...would have some truly scary photos...maybe to take a small suitcase? as cant take them on plane if im thinking right?

thanks for currency converter ursie57...what a useful website!!Would it be best to print it the day we leave and print new ones on the trip? does the rate change drastically from day to day?

thanks so much for helping me!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

The currency doesn't alter that much over the period of a week. Just take the one cheat sheet as once you are there and start getting used to the currency, the cheat sheet will be a guide.

As for your luggage, no you won't be able to pack your shampoo etc in your carry on unless it is under 100ml. You will have to put it in a check-in case or dispense it into bottles of under 100ml, so you aren't taking the whole lot with you.

Another option is to take a check-in case full of thinks that the Balinese would like. Have a clean out of your cupboards and take any clothes you no longer wear, unwanted linen, toiletries, cosmetics and perfumes etc that you don't need. Make sure it is things that you would still be happy to use, condition wise, though. Those sorts of things are greatly appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

Definitely take your own shampoo and conditioner - the water here is not kind to hair even at the best of times!

Just make sure that the bottles are secure - a lot of shampoos have flip top bottles that can end up all over your bag.. I would take your own skincare if you use something special also.. if you don't have miniatures (I always save those ones you get from bonus times for travelling) just buy a few small 100ml or smaller containers from the 2 dollar shop and put enough moisturizer etc in them for your trip..)

One thing I always do when I travel is buy a couple of packs of different sized zip lock bags (especially large size) - I put shampoo and conditioner in one.. phone and camera charger cords in another.. my scarves and other delicates in another.. it just means if there are any accidents in your luggage that the damage is contained!

The other thing I suggest you should bring with you is feminine hygiene products as the range here is extremely limited and very expensive.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,568 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

Completely agree with Brigid about the zip-lock plastic bags for your liquids. I learned this from bitter experience when I unpacked my luggage in Bali a couple of years ago and found my clothes covered in shaving gel. I smelled nice and mentholly for a few days though.

Nothing wrong with taking checked in luggage, the bags come off reasonably quickly in the airport. Just make sure you leave a bit of room for your new sarongs, bags, flip-flops, wood carvings, etc.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

oh good plan with the mini bottles! Im sure 100ml will be plenty for 10 nights, ill just have to ration it out :)

Its our first proper overseas trip..ive been around Australia but that was when i was younger and had the parents showing me where to go...so i want to have as little to worry about as possible on the way over so i can get the hang of the whole airport/customs thing!

Also would anyone know what to do at restaurants etc being a vegetarian? are there obvious vegetarian dishes? or do i need to somehow communicate that i want no meat?

Thanks heaps for all the help..you are helping to lower my stress levels :) hehe

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

Hi Anna-Daya

Don't stress too much about the airport/customs. You just need to follow everyone else coming off the plane, it's orderly except for those who 'bolt' past you to get to the front of the visa line.

Just have your money ready to pay the visa and make sure your have filled out the incoming immigration card and have it in with your passport for the next stop.

Luggage carrousel check you are at the correct one(they have no signs to indicate which flight)if other plane/s have arrived at the same time and get a luggage trolley from the far end, will make life easier when you head through customs and out of terminal.

On Dhyana Pura Seminyak, opposite JP's Warung there is a small vegetarian restaurant and 'Chandi' restaurant on Jl Laksmana Seminyak, do organic food.You will have no problems asking for meat, fish etc to be excluded from your meal,staff usually read back to you the order before it heads to the kitchen, if they don't just check with them again they have your order correct.

Cheers

Burns

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for first trip to Bali!

Hi Anna-Daya,

I agree with everyone else - don't take too many clothes. Laundry is done very cheaply and the cotton gear they sell is perfect for the humidity. We filled our suitcases with our old clothes (the ones that were good quality and in good condition - no old, tatty stuff). We then gave it away to the Balinese people that we felt in need.

We used Brisbane tailors and it is virtually 1min away from your hotel. If you walk out the front door of your hotel, turn right (so you are heading towards the beach). Straight away there is a laneway on your right and Brisbane tailors is down that lane on the left hand side. Tell Yusef that Noel & Vanessa say hi. We were very happy with the gear he made for us.

You will have a wonderful time in Bali, enjoy.

Cheers NJay