We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

ive been reading this board but still have not pinned down which area we would like to stay in. since this will be our honeymoon we probably like a lot of relaxation and time to enjoy each other. as of right now we are leaning towards the seyminak area but im a little worried it will not feel like bali since its seems to be pretty modern. im having a hard time find bungalos right on the beach or even a small resort. we would like to avoid the touristy resorts or areas.

we would like to be around good local foods and ideally on the beach. we'll probably take in some surf lessons, temples, and for the wifey lots and lots of spa treaments without breaking the bank. my budget for accomadations will be up to $300/night.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

With that budget, I'd be looking at private villas and yes Seminyak in my opinion. You don't say how long you will be there for, but if its a week or longer consider splitting your accommodation between say seminyak and maybe Ubud (art and culture, temples, rice terraces, mountains etc) or even Amed (beach but quieter and less touristy).

congratulations on you coming wedding.

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

we are spending 9 days in bali. as of right now i know for sure i want to spend at least 2-3 days in Gili Trawagan (is that too much?) which will be last part of our trip. do you know of a place online where i can search for private villas? i would like one right on the beach if possible. do the private villas provide food? im thinking we will spend 2-3 days in Ubud, 4 days in Seminyak, and 2-3 days in Gili. thanks for advice.

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

forgot to mention we need recommendations for Ubud accomodations also. in Ubud it seems that a hotel around a rice field is the way to go.

cheers!

Perth
Level Contributor
433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

While I'm all for seeing different parts of Bali I'd wonder if 2-3 days is enough time in each location, especially if this is your first time.

I also add my vote to Whinnie's for Seminyak as a good option and I'd also back up her suggestion to at least consider the private villas. There are some really lovely ones and, with it being a honeymoon and all, the privacy might be nice...

Papua, Indonesia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

If you want to avoid touristy areas, I highly recommend the Sheraton Senggigi Resort in Lombok. It is right on the beach, amazing pool, not well known, and even though it is big, it feels like you are all alone. Bungalows are available as well. They also have an amazing spa right on the beach, AMAZING food, a short walk from the local food which is awesome. You can take an hour boat ride to some of the best snorkeling/diving on the planet. Check it out. Seriously the best kept secret in Indonesia. You won't be disappointed I promise.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

I think a private villa in Seminyak with your own private pool and staff and then a beautiful hotel in Ubud and the Gilis or Lombok will provide you with the best choices. In Seminyak check out the Laksmana villas. They are a beautiful compelx of villas, within walking distance to the beach and also near some of Bali's best restaurants and shops in Jalan Laksmana. You could also check out the Legian Bali which is a beautiful upmarket hotel right on the beach. Also the Samaya is another beautiful hotel. In Ubud you could check out the Komaneka Hotel in Monkey Forest Road which is right in the middle of town, but with rice paddy views. Also other beautiful 4 and 5-star hotels to check out are Ubud Hanging Gardens, Four Seasons Sayan, Pita Maha, Uma Ubud etc. Seminyak and Ubud have fantastic spas for your wife. In Seminyak check out Chill and Prana Spa in Jalan Kunti. By staying in Ubud and Seminyak you get the best of both worlds - the beach and the cultural and artistic centre of Bali.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

Thanks Elizabeth, I can't get on my computer for a couple of days so I'm on my managers laptop (which is just about impossible to type on) and was dreading have to type a big reply on it. This jsut took me 5 minutes. lol.

Bali
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

Hi there,

Vote one seminyak. hehehe. Your new partner won't hang around if you don't do a bit of winning and dinning on the honeymoon! So seminyak is the way to go. Plus there are heaps of spa's and shops of fun relaxation time to.

Bali is all culture so whereever you go you will be in the "real Bali", there always offerings to step around and members of staff or local families following traditional way of life at work or home....even in Seminyak.

Try www.lakshmivillas.com for a great small villa complex in the heart of the Seminyak action but nice and quiet, the staff there can cook great meals in the villa (romantic) hehehe and the villas are only 5 minuts walk to some of Bali's best restaurants!

Cheers

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

where can i find a selection of villas in seminyak? the lakshmi villas are nice but i would like to have some more options. does anyone know how far they are from the beach? are there any villas right on the beach? thanks for all the great advice.

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Advice on Choosing Area for Our Honeymoon

would it be a better idea to book everything through an agent in bali to get better rates?