We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Townsville...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Is it worth going on a trip to the Japanese wreck in Amed or is it just as good snorkelling off the beaches? Does anyone have any recommendations of the best beackes to snorkel in Amed in June? Thanks

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Places to Snorkel in Amed:

Jemeluk

Infront of Pondok Vienna hotel at Lipah

Selang beach but strong currents so sometimes visibility isn't good.

Japanese shipwreck at Banyuing

Infront of 3 Brothers/Amed Cafe at high tide

Liberty shipwreck at Tulamben

I haven't snorkelled at the Japanese wreck but have read that it's worth a visit as is the Liberty wreck at Tulamben. The latter gets busy with divers too so maybe visit early or later in the day.

There are most probably other spots but these are the ones I know of.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Unless you have dived countless wrecks I think it's worth it not because it's amazing but it does add interest to the dive, it's an easy dive to access although the pebbly beach makes for a comical entrance into the water, lots of coral and colourful fish as there is along the whole coast.

There are so many great spots along the coast where ever you end up going make sure to chat to someone local as entering the water just a few meters left or right can make a huge difference to what you see.

We stayed at Bunutan and saw beautiful coral and fish here but it took us a couple of goes to find the right spot, in the end we figured a vague rule of thumb was where there were no boats pulled up on the beach the snorkeling was better.

Cheers Deb.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Thanks for that. We are staying at Hidden Paradise Cottages. Do you know if the beach in front of that is good for snorkelling?

Last year we also went to Amed but just for a couple of nights and also it was the wet season. We stayed at Kembali cottages which had fantastic coral at the beach there but I think Hidden Paradise is quite a bit further up the coast.

Northern California
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

How's the beach, and the snorkeling, at Life in Amed?

Thanks.

Northern California
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

How's the beach, and the snorkeling, at Life in Amed?

Thanks.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Hi tropicpom,

Hidden Paradise Cottages is at Lipah, on the same beach is Pondok Vienna & there is fabulous snorkelling infront of this hotel.The beach is better than at Kembali in that it is not pebbly & is more white than black volcanic sand.However I always stay in the area around Kembali & love it there.Incidentally at Lipah there is live music at Wawa Wewe 1 a couple of evenings a week, an internet cafe & some small shops.

Next is Lean beach, then Selang

It is less than 2km from Lipah to Selang beach, again fabulous snorkelling directly from the beach.

There is another sandy beach & then the village of Banyuning with good snorkelling & the small Japanese wreck in shallow water just a few metres from the beach.

So you're going in June...not long now...any room in your case for me please!

GFA916 Hi,

Life in Amed is at Lean, the beaches are more white sand at this end of Amed. The local fishermen set sail in their jukungs from the beach very early in the morning & you can watch them arrive back with their catch. The bungalows are spacious, haven't stayed but had a look around at Christmas.

Sorry don't know if there is a coral reef there but if you want to visit other beaches just ask one of the locals to give you a lift on their scooter or some will hire their scooters for a nominal charge. Alternatively book a local driver & ask them to take you to the best snorkelling spots.It is approx 1km from Life in Amed to Selang beach so you could always walk.

Ursie

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

The Japanese wreck is only small, but well worth a visit. Although as someone else said, the beach is stoney and it is a little difficult getting in the water.It is better to go there morning time.

Try Baliku restaurant for lunch afterwards.

As Ursie already said,you are staying at Lipah bay and this is where some of the best snorkling can be found in front of Pondok Vienna.

Selang Beach is my favourite snorkling spot in front of Good Karma Bungalows. I personally have not experienced strong currents there. It is usually calm and clear.

Although around the full moon, all the beaches experience some swell.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

One of my favourite hotels in Lipah is Bayu Cottages. It is across the road from Pondok Vienna and has fantastic views.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

Just had news that the beach on the left side of Life in Amed is very good, also the right side...lots of fish and coral....there is a sandy stretch in the middle of the beach to enter easily...Patrick at Sails has found a new spot, so will have a look this summer. Visibility may not be good around the new and full moons as the waves kick up but the Japanese Wreck is very good for critters and if your a good swimmer the corals on the left are amazing.

10. Re: Snorkelling Japanese wreck in Amed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 06:20