We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr - Part 1

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
jbr - Part 1

3rd May - I suppose I really ought to start this packing thing need to be at Airport by 4.30pm and it is an hours drive from home. Finally got myself sorted and we headed off to the Int Airport at 3pm to book the car in and ourselves - 2nd up to the counter and got the first row in economy on Virgin - good leg room and an extra seat between hubby and myself (Rylee moved over later in the evening to give his mum room to stretch out).Shouldn't have worried getting there early as the Plane was late getting in and then with Swine flu and quarantine the flight left nearly and hour an a half late meaning we got to bali a 1am on the 4th. Poor Dean - he had been hanging around for over 2 hours and DazAdelaide and his wife had been out with him for 9 hours that day - But there he was full of jumping beans and raring to go. LOL - all we wanted was a bed. Arrived at Kumala Pantai - everything organised and we were snuggled up in bed within 1/2 hour of arriving.

First day fairly quiet day - swimming in pool, catch up with sister for lunch, massage in afternoon and to Uncle Norms Bistro for dinner.

Tuesday 5th - Dean was unwell so he sent Wayan Lia to take us out for the day - went to Tanah lot, Rice paddies and Lake Bratan. Markets at Tanah lot were great and wished I had bought some more of the things we had seen. Had flat tyre on little narrow road on way to the Rice paddies - Dean had removed the lever that lets the tyre down from under the car - poor Wayan Lia he had a lovely white shirt on that ended up more black than white whilst trying to work out how to get this tyre down - I know lets wait for another Kijang to come along and borrow theirs - great idea 2mins later (lets face it -they are a dime a dozen even on the back roads) we have a kijang, a lever and the wheel is on its way to being fixed. The rest of the day passed without incident and was enjoyed thoroughly. Lake Bratan would have to be one of my favourite spots. Bree was able to access most areas around the Lake - it is one of the few places which is relatively wheelchair friendly.

Wednesday 6th: Rest and Relaxation - After brekky and a swim in the morning David and I headed off to Poppies 2 to Janoko Tailor to organise my Suit, Blouses and work Trousers for David. (total cost $153). After that effort we ducked in to Alleycats for a drink before checking on the rest of Poppies 2 & 1 and doing some serious shopping in Matahari's - Also picked up 3xPolo shirts for around $95 at the Polo store. Back to KP for rest and get ready for the TA get together at the Bali Beach Shack - See report in "Any one in Bali in May".

Thurs 7th: Up early for our trip to Lovina - Dean picked us up at 8am and off we headed. We stopped to feed the monkeys on the roadside - Much to Rylee's delight - He couldn't get over how soft their paws were - Bree was able to join in as they were happy to get close to the open doors of the car and take peanuts from her. We chose not to swim with the Dolphins due to the cost and also were not happy with the conditions, so we headed off to one of the local restaurants for a lovely lunch and caught up with my Sister, hubby and kids who were with Wayan Lia. After lunch they headed off to the Hot Springs whilst we headed for Munduk Waterfall, seeing some beautiful scenerey along the way. Now, if anyone tells you it is a nice gentle walk down to and back from the Waterfall DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. It is a faily steep walk down to the falls and quite slippery (without the rain - with it it is treacherous). Having said that it is worth the walk and we got some lovely photo's. On the walk back it was pouring with rain - quite torrential so made it really hard. Josh & Rylee made it back quite quickly, such is the benefit of youth - even then Rylee's 6 year old description to his dad when asking for a lift on his back was that it was worse than "The biggest loser workout". David headed up slowly and the lovely Dean stayed with me (being as i am not fit) and made sure I got back safely. Consequently we were both dripping wet - Fine for him he just strips his top of and wraps a sarong around him - Me i had to sit with towels soaking up the water. Fortunately we were not that far from the Twin Lake Buyan & Tambligan were we stopped for photo's and were able to get T-shirts and some nice beaded thongs (dirt cheap) LOL I bartered a better price for our shirts than Dean did for his- much to all our delight and his. Sister and family caught up with us at this time and heaps of photo's where taken. Then it was back to Kuta and head back to the Bali Beach shack for the Hulu Night - Well, what can I say. I have been to the shows in Phuket with the Shims but this was quite different - almost a little confronting but hysterically funny. I am glad that Bree stayed home with Rylee (being pretty exhausted) as it really is not for young children. I would certainly say to anyone wondering about it - go, but go with an open mind to enjoy it. Caught up with some of the TA'ers from last night as well.

Friday 8th: Totally exhausted so had a day at the hotel just swimming, having massages and sleeping. The Kumala Pantai is a great hotel for being able to do this.

To be continued shortly......

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,662 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr - Part 1

Great report Redned - although the monkeys have soft little paws, they're very grubby as they don't seem to wash them very often. I find the markets at Tanah Lot to be quite reasonably priced, and the hassle there doesn't seem as bad as Ubud market.

Look forward to the next episode! Thanks.

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr - Part 1

Hey RedNed, glad you had a great holiday. I was wondering if you used the kumala pantai spa and what the prices were like. It was just being finished when we were there last.

Was at the Bali Beach shack just a few nights ago! Saw the Hulu girls/boys arriving but we had to go off and meet friends so couldn't stay for the show. We did however go to Celebes spa and hair salon for lots of massages etc. The employees here are all gay or girls that used to be boys! They were all so lovely and very entertaining.

Sorry we just missed you!

Cheers,

Andrea

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,938 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr - Part 1

thanks for the first part of your JBR. fancy getting shirts cheaper than Dean lol. how was Wayan Lia? he is such a lovely man and always happy to talk about his beautiful family!

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr - Part 1

Andrea,

Spa at Kumala Pantai really lovely and sooooo peaceful. I had two of my massage (treatments) here and several others at Brianna's who are just a bit cheaper for Massages but not quite as good.

Prices are:

Body massage - 159,000rp (only 69,000rp at Brianna)

1.5hr body massage with flower bath - 205,000rp

Exfoliation Massage, (Mandi lulur) 275,000rp

1 hour massage, body scrub and exfoliation, choice of bath and tea aprox 2hours

Aromatherapy massage 215,000rp - 1.5hrs

Back massage - 71,000rp half hour

foor massage - 71,000rp half hour

Foot refloxology aromatherapy - 1/2 hr 80,000rp

1 hour 150,000rp

1.5hour 200,000rp.

then it goes on to hair treatments, coloring, highlighting, facials waxing etc.

I had the Body Massage one day and then the Exfoliation massage and facial on another session - this was my favourite and oh sooo nice. Better than any i have had in AUS.

Brianna's were good for the price but for that little bit extra KP's was best.

Redned

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr - Part 1

Noodleboy - yes their paws were lovely and soft and dirty - always had the antibacterial wipes at the ready!!! I am really kicking myself about not getting more stuff at Tanah Lot. Never mind.

Snooky - Wayan was lovely - much quieter than Dean, but still lots of fun and really helpful. Actually they all were really helpful and tried really hard to make life easier for Bree. I love the way that all the Taxi drivers, and staff in the restaurants rushed to help her.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my report on our trip back to "Gosha restaurant". We used to go there all the time 15-20 yrs back when we would take the kids up there. I love the way that the staff have remained the same over all these years and taking Josh back there for the first time in 15 years as a young man with his own son was a real buzz as one by one the guys realised who he was - they were just so excited - especially Gerry, Alit and Ray (the owner). The first time they saw Josh he was only 6 years old - the same age Rylee is now. Gerry was just about in tears with excitement. It was the same at Norms Bar - we met him when he just started down the little lane of Melasti - and to this day they all remember us when we come in - even if there are 4/5years between visits.

Redned

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr - Part 1

Sounds like you had alot of fun Red! Good on you bartering a better price for the shirts than Dean, it must have caused great hilarity all round!

You're spot on that KP is a great place to chill out & relax, I love sitting out on my balcony there late at night looking out over the pool & fountains sipping a cool drink....sheer bliss! Can't wait to go again!

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr - Part 1

Oooh Ursie,

I know - those balconies are just great - I had to laught when we were touring around Dean would be telling me where everyone stays. Your name figured quite often along with Whinnie and Sue-ellen.

I hear he is going to be teaching someone to drive in Amed when you are there next.

Redned

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jbr - Part 1

hi redned, sorry to miss the catch up at beach shack on Tues 12th. my hubby was very unwell with a flu like virus, bad sweats, sore joints and muscles. it passed as quickly as it came, thank god.

we had a great time with the kids. though I am already planning a time over there by myself.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jbr - Part 1

Hi Coxie

Sorry to hear about your hubby - there was a bit of that going around - and some even self inflicted.

Would have been great to catch up but am sure at some time in the future we will get it happening.

Redned

10. Re: jbr - Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 06:27