We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bali belly?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bali belly?

read these 2 words a few times on here now.

what is it and how do i not get it lol?

cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bali belly?

It is food poisoning. Avoid eating from food vendors on the side of the street. Make sure you only drink bottled water. ry not to drink water in the shower and when you clean your teeth! Enjoy

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bali belly?

Not correct, it is not food poisoning and not gotten from foodstalls.

What most people mean when they say they have Bali Belly is really travellers diarrhoea. The best preventatives are keeping your hands clean and eating fresh, food.

You can eat at Warungs and you can have ice in your drinks and you can eat salads. Get some aqium as much trouble comes from actually handling money.

Most people confuse traveller's diarrhoea with Bali Belly, but they are actually different.

Traveller's diarrhoea occurs with a sudden change in diet - spicy foods, tropical fruits, etc. It's characterized by sudden stomach cramping and an urgent need to get to a toilet. :) Your body will adapt and unless it is serious and lasts longer than a day you do not need medication or blocking up.

You should make sure you drink plenty of bottled water to avoid dehydration remembering that you are in the tropics.

Bali Belly is more akin an acute case of gastroenteritis, which can be caused by either a bacterial or parasitic infection. It is passed on by the faecal-oral route so good hygiene is vital. It is characterized by abdominal pain which usually comes in waves, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. More often than not the victim is bed ridden as feels too ill to move about and wants to be close to a toilet.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bali belly?

Hi Linda,

I really want to eat at 'Warungs' as I think these are amongst the most genuine experiences and ways to meet locals. Are the actually safe enough?

Cheers

Bill

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bali belly?

just to butt in, I have never had a problem at Warungs and even the padang style places are fine, but just pick busy ones, that way you know food hasn't been hanging around too long to be dodgy

cheers

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bali belly?

sorry for my ignorance but what is Warungs?

is this a food stall?

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bali belly?

Warungs are little shacks/carts that serve local dishes in a simple fashion.

Bill

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bali belly?

ahhh right i see.

they have lots of food stalls in thailand which we eat in a lot. most were very nice and cheap.

does anybody know how the ones in bali compare to the ones in thailand?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bali belly?

generally, same price or cheaper, food is less spicy and drier, rice or noodles are the staple. Sambals add heat so don't miss them if you need a chili fix

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bali belly?

Although Warung used to mean a roadside stall or eatery,

now small restaurants are calling themselves "warungs".

They are usually Indonesian owned, not Western; cheap and basic. Some excellent small restaurant type warungs are

Warung Murah

Warung Yogya

Warung Kartini

For authentic, inexpensive and great Javanese food, go to Warung Sunda in Tuban.

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bali belly?

I eat off the street and in the markets all the time. The key to not getting sick (aside from hand washing etc) is to make sure you choose warungs that have a good turnover. If food is sold quickly, it is much more likely to be fresh.

'Warung' to be more precise, means small shop or stall. Warungs don't only sell food. Warung Telkom (shortened to Wartel) is a small shop that you can make phone calls from. You would also go to a warung pulsa to top-up credit for your phone etc. :)