We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Bali on your own......

London
Level Contributor
69 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Bali on your own......

Hello again!!

I hope you can help!

I am travelling alone but really want to see as much as Bali as possible - including places like Jatiluwih, Taman Nasional Park,Lovina, Kintamani etc etc! I have 3 weeks ... How do I get to these places on my own - I have read a lot of things saying you should hire your own car but this is not a possibility for me.

Are there buses or organised tours with other travellers?

Please let me know - any help would be much appreciated.

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Can you ride a motorbike? This is by far the cheapest way to get around. Or, you could rent a bike and a driver to get you around. Much cheaper than a car and more convenient (and cheaper) than joining tour groups.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

If Angel has never been to Bali before I would definitely advise against renting a bike as the roads are chaotic, road rules inexistent and road signs very far and few between. I am guessing that Angel is a female and once again would strongly advise hiring a bike with a driver - it is far to risky for a single female traveller.

I suggest that maybe you ask on the forum if others will be around at the same time as yourself and maybe organise a few trips with others or acquaint yourself with the tour desk at your hotel (if you are staying in an hotel) and join tours with others. I am sure there are other ways of joining in organised tours with others that I am not aware of.

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Sorry, a typo in my last response - please read "strongly advise against hiring....."

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Oh dear - the Balinese sun is getting to me. Please also read ' far too risky' instead of 'far to risky'!!!!!

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Hire a car with driver from place to place, not expensive.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Hi Angel!

Within that spell of yours it's absolutely no problem to explore Bali on your own - I did it with half of your time.

Since it wasn’t my first time to Bali, I didn’t even consider driving on my own – the traffic is terrible, roads are full with motor bikers popping up from nowhere, many of the roads my driver went through were not even indicated on my road map etc.

Before arriving I gathered as much info on places I wanted to see as it was only possible in a distance and outlined several routes around the island. In Ngurah Rai airport I've taken all the leaflets offering tours and driving services, then just compared their prices and rented a car. I’ve checked three companies within three days and ended up hiring a driver with an English-speaking guide for caUSD30 per day (my hotel offer was 5 times higher, so I wouldn’t recommend referring to hotel if you want to do it on budget). Oh, and don’t forget to bargain while renting a car – after all, you offer a guaranteed full day occupation for a long period of time – my bid started with caUSD50 per day.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Sorry, you didn't mention why hiring a car wasn't for you - if for budget reasons, I've indicated the pricing for you to consider.

If this is because you're solo female traveller - well, so was I, and I've never felt insecure while in Bali.

London
Level Contributor
69 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

Wow thanks guys! This is a great help. I don't mind about the crazy roads - I've just spent 6 weeks in Vietnam!! And am of Indian origin so am used to the crazy driving, however I can't and don't wanna ride a motorbike (too scary!) A car I thought would be more expensive to hire but then also you won't really get to meet other travellers in a car! I am a solo female but I hear that Bali is pretty safe as long as you don't do anything stupid!

Thanks for all ur help! :-)

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
822 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

the local bus company is Perama, they do tours

http://www.peramatour.com/

there is a tour hut out the front of the Wisma Werdhapura hotel, next to Griya Santrian, in the main road. The guy here can sell you a ticket to anywhere you want to go!!

Singapore
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Bali on your own......

I recently spent 6 days exploring Bali with a rented car.

A car is not that expensive to hire in bali. we haggled a $20 a day including insurance, compared to a bike that is like $12 a day. The petrol doesn't cost much too; parking is 2000Rupiahs. If you hire a car for more than 3 days, you usually get a discount and better to haggle in Rupiahs.

We inquired about the driver/guide, but it didn't work out because on top of his fees, we would have to pay for his meals and hotel along our trip. That came up to be $100 per day at least. We figured either we drive ourselves or take up tour packages. In the end, we chose the former which is cheaper and more fun.

I would say it's better getting a companion traveling with you who could read map or take turn to drive. Road conditions in Denpasar can be bad, but beyond it's easy to drive.

I wouldn't recommend taking a bus and dropping off to the destinations you mention like Lovina is sparsely spread out, you will have to walk a lot with your backpack. Also some opportunistic hotel staff are going to charge you higher if they think you have no mobility to check on the next hotel.