We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

We were actually booked on the morning flight to Bali. However when we reached the airport in the morning, we were told that the flight has been canceled for about 2 months already and we were booked on the night flight instead. But we only booked and confirmed the flight about 1 month ago. We booked through this website and we even called up the office to confirm our flight. Even our returning flight has been canceled. If we had not confirmed it during our check-in in Singapore, we would have missed our flight back to Singapore. The staff even said that it was normal for the night flight to be canceled if the morning flight was canceled. How normal is that? We were even told that the Garuda reservation staff will only come in at 7am and we have to wait to see if we could have any alternative because she can’t do anything and that she didn’t know what she can do. When we ask if she could contact the Garuda staff, we were told that she could not possibly call the home just for this incident. Her attitude was horrible. The reservation staff was quick to transfer us to a SQ flight almost immediately when she arrived though. However, our day plans were disrupted due to the 2 over hours delay. And I doubt that I will ever take Garuda Airline again.

On a lighter side, we enjoyed most of our Bali trip. The weather was great and the people were really nice. We stayed at Grand Akhyati for the first 2 nights and Tegal Sari for the last 2 nights. Both great hotels with great services.

We prefered Ubud to Kuta/Seminyak. The latter was too rowdy and messy. Ubud on the other hand was more peaceful and quiet. We thought that the best place to shop was Tanah Lot though. It was not as rowdy as Kuta/Seminyak and the prices are lower then Ubud. Our guide told us that Tanah Lot was more frequent by domestic travelers thus the lower price.

We felt there were too much touting though. They tend to use children to pester you to buy things. And I wore the wrong shoes for water rafting and got my shoes really wet. When we reached the ending point, someone actually just took my shoes off and changed to a pair of slippers she was selling and asked me to pay for it. We took Blue Bird taxis only and one of the drivers actually rounded up the fee to the nearest 10000rp.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

Lots of calamities.

Better stay in Singapore, very safe, taxi drivers make change accurately.

Garuda is a well know pain.

If you want to go on the cheap, next time consider Lion Air or AirAsia from SIN.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

Hi,

I sympathise with you!! I know Garuda is horrible. i don't fly them whenever possible. I prefer Jetstar to Garuda if I can't get an SQ flight. I have been delayed every single time on Garuda, so eayh, that is my experience.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed most of your trip. I know that some bluebird taxi drivers (and others as well) do tend to round up the amount, and of course, living in Singapore, you are not used to it. Well, next time, if there be a next time, you can either choose to give the exact change, or have small denominations and don't expect the change. e.g. if it's Rp 24,250, then be prepared to give Rp 25,000.

Sometimes, you can tell yourself that that amount means a lot to them, although of course, it's the principle of the matter that is probably irksome!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

It's not the amount like you said. Its a lot to them. We are used to rounding out the amount in indo, just not to the extent of the nearest 10k

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

If a mere flight delay makes you think an airline is HORRIBLE, you have a lot to look forward to in future travel.

This happens with all airlines and the cheaper ones are the worst IMO.

Try getting Jetstar, JetstarAsia to assist when flights are cancelled or delayed.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

Its not the delay thats the problem. The plane was not even delayed. It was canceled. And the initial flight we were getting was changed to the night time. So we would have to wait more then 12 hours. just to get on a flight.

The main thing is getting booked on a plane that did not even exist at the time of booking.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

Plus, if I am taking a budget airline, I would not have such high expectations.

7. Re: Garuda Airline-Horrible experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:17