We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi all,

I'm sure you've heard this question 50 times before, so I apologise beforehand.

My husband and I are going to Bali in October, and we'd like to rent a scooter for the week. We'll be staying in Nusa Dua, and I was wondering what a rough estimate for scooter hire would be. Also, am I correct in assuming that it is fairly easy to rent one? In December we found it ridiculously easy to rent one in Phuket, hopefully we'll experience the same in this case?

Also, are we required to hand in a passport as security? My husband has an international driver's lisence as well.

Thanks! Michelle.

Perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi, how did you go with this? I need same!!

Cheers, Sean

Perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi, how did you go with this? I need same!!

Cheers, Sean

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi Sean,

Our trip is only later this year, so will let you know:)

Perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

OK thanks, I go tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find. Sean

perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi,

I am going to Bali in September, staying in Nusa Dua. I want to hire a scooter and cruise around the Uluwatu area.

I am keen to hear suggestions?

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi,

Before you hire a scooter, please do a search about driving in Bali - it is not very safe if you are not confident or apprehensive, especially if you haven't ridden in Bali or SEA before. And plus that, you may have to deal with the police who want bribes and etc.

As for riding in Phuket, it depends on which part of the island you are as well to have an idea of what traffic conditions are like, compared to Bali.

Having said that, my husband and I have rented scooters many times. We normally do it away from the touristy areas. I do not know how much it would cost in the Nusa Dua area seeing as that is a tourist ghetto full of 5* hotels and big name/chain hotels, so the prices there can be more expensive. We usually rent an (automatic) scooter for about maybe USD4-5 for an afternoon.

We just use our international driving licence (for cars) and no, we don't have to hand in our passports for security.

We never, if possible go to the touristy areas, preferring o venture out into the rural areas and taking small roads and exploring small villages. And if we get lost, well, I can speak a little Bahasa. We love the thrill of being able to just go down any old side lane and seeing that lies ahead.

Traffic can be terrible in touristy areas. And in the rural areas, there are no street signs, lamp posts, if you meet with an accident, the tourist is always in the wrong, etc, etc... So PLEASE SEARCH the forums and read everything before you decide.

Gd Luck.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

not many of us recommend self drive / riding. please read previous posts b4 making up your mind. as mentioned some areas are more suited to this. there are a lot of risks.

Perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi Michelle

Just got back from Nusa Dua and scooter hire was no probs at all, there's several places to rent from on the main strip with the going rate around 5000 Rup/day or even less if you hire 3 days or more (we paid 3500/day for a 6 day term). The traffic in Nusa is lot lighter than Kuta/Seminyak but I recommend you get an international licence as the cops will try and bribe you if you dont have ( they will try anyway but if you've done nothing wrong stand firm and they will let you go). We had a ball...you will too.

Take care, Sean

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

Hi Sean,

Can't believe you're back already, hope you had a great time.

The rental price is ridiculously cheap, we had no idea it would be that little. I can't wait to get to Bali now, only 2 more months!

10. Re: Scooter hire in Nusa Dua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 05:17