We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning?

More questions - guess that happens when you dont know the place?

We are staying in Sanur and plan to go to UBUB for a full day. Would anyone recommend cutting 2 nights from our Sanur stay to stay at Ubud or is it not worth the hassle?

Also, the Taro Elephant park, can you just pay at the gate or do you need to take an organised tour. Just feel that it may be easier to tie it in with a driver day, and take in some more rather than Taro and straihgt back to hotel.

any suggestions welcome

Jim

Bali Safest Driver
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Bali Golden Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Good Bali Driver
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Bali Sun Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning?

I would definately stay at Ubud for 2 nights.

Beautiful places for lunch and dinner there (Indus for lunch) Dirty Duck for dinner to name just 2 that are popular.

Loads of spas.

Lot's of arty stuff.

Different wares at markets and Tegallalang for cheap shopping.

Many hotels are nestled in rice paddies and it is so peaceful up there.

You can do batik making, cooking classes or bike rides.

Monkey forest is there.

Elephant park not far as is the zoo and bird park.

Only 1 hour or so from Sanur, but a different perspective on Bali.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning?

If you decide not to spend 2 night in Ubud, don't fret too much, it is very easy to get too and from there from Sanur so just do a couple of day trips. There are also different roads that can be taken up to Ubud from Sanur so you won't be travelling the same roads over and over.

You can get tickets at the gates for the Taro Elephant Park but if you use a driver to take you there, make sure you are adamant about going to this park as opposed to the other (not as good) Elephant Park, especially if it is a driver you hire off the street. The other park offers incentives for drivers to bring their customers there and drivers have been known to tell the customer that they are at the Taro Park when, in fact, they aren't. You will find brochures all over the place (at your hotel, in stands at restaurants, at the tour desks on the street) for the Taro Elephant Park. If you pick one of these up while you are walking around, they will have a whole page dedicated to making sure you get driven to the right park and how to tell if you have been taken to the other park. www.baliadventuretours.com is the site of the park you want to visit.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning?

it's only an hour away so staying in the one spot makes sense if you have limited time. on the other hand i like to stay in different places and so i would stay in ubud for 2 nights. staying in a place is such a different feel to dy trips.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning?

Thanks again folks.

It absolutely will be Taro. Re the driver, I will be using one already recommended on this forum so should be ok.

Where to stay, I think the suggestions reflect the way we are feeling - I'd like to stay a couple of nights, but not sure if I can be bothered packing/unpacking for somewhere only an hour away. But I also know that you get a different vibe by staying in a place.

Decisions, decisions. We will talk it over.

Go Raibh Mile Maith Agaibh

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning?

We all have our different take on things!

Here is mine!

Bali is a small island and yet it has so many different aspects and vibes.

A week in Sanur is plenty

I think it is well worth spending a couple of nights in Ubud.. it has a totally unique and equally charming atmosphere.

There are lovely places to eat and stay

I feel you need to go to sleep and wake up in a place to really experience it

Ubud is only an hour from Sanur, but the sounds, the smells, the visuals and the people are all quite different.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with planning?

Kabirgirl:

I know exactly what you mean. I have travelled a fair bit and to be honest I would move every couple of nights in order to see as much as possible (Not so sure my wife would fancy that though).

I had thought originally of 5 nights Sanur, 3 Nights Lovina and 3 nights Ubud,

Then just Sanur and Ubud.

To be honest that's the reason for the questions, whilst everyone is different, and that's acknowledged, getting others viewpoints, especially on TA does help.

Thanks again

Jim

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with planning?

Celtic, if it helps, I now assume that I will be returning to any new destination. I would do my head in if I didn't. So little time and so much to do........

8. Re: Help with planning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 06:16