We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"I'm too scared" what do you think?

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
"I'm too scared" what do you think?

I was meant to be going to Bali next year with a friend, now it looks like we are going to Thailand which seems a little safer.

I'm quite sad because I was really looking forward to Bali, but everyone is terrified now. A large group of friends just bailed out from their December trip they had planned, and of course my parents do not want me to go.

I'm still keen, but then again...is it really worth the risk?

I just feel sorry for the Balinese people who depend on tourism.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

You can only do what feels comfortable for you.

All the Best.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

go with your gut instinct, but if its any assurance im heading over in a few weeks solo. I think if you keep clear of the 'hot spots/popular places' where everybody goes to party and dine and shop then i would think you'd be ok. Myself i'll be staying in seminyak, shopping in legian and pretty much keeping a low profile and visit the occasional day spas avoiding all the popular places.

whereever you decide to go, you'll enjoy yourself im sure and lets be honest no where is ever truly 100% safe to travel, you just need to be smart and have your wits about you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

Hi, surely if you avoid all the popular (re:good) places, what's the point of going? Thailand is fabulous, but problems still occur and people still get injured through accidents and natural tragedies. Go to Bali and book your next trip to Phuket or Samui, you will love it, IMHO. Regards Phil.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

I don't want to sway you either way, it has to be your decision,,,,,,BUT have your friends heard of the political unrest that has been happening on a regular basis (closing the airports and violent demonstrations in the streets) in Thailand over the last 12 months?????

As a mother AND an informed traveler, I would a hell of a lot happier with my children traveling to Bali rather than Thailand (I would not travel to Thailand at the moment). And in fact my adult children are traveling to Bali in the not too distant future. 1 is travelling to Europe soon and I am a lot more worried about him than I am the others travelling to Bali.

Do your research, on your own, and find out the facts. Question 1 should be.....how many attacks on westerners have their been in Jakarta in the last 10 years (not including this last tragic one) that have had nothing to do with the attacks on Bali. Answer....3 (I bet you didn't know that, because there were no Australians killed). The Australian Media has a lot to answer for when it comes to unbiased journalism........

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

I had some friends that were planning to come to Bali just after the last Bali bomb. They chickened out and went to Thailand "because it's safer". I went out and partied in Bali for Xmas and New Year. Thailand was bombed. Alternatively, you could go somewhere "safe" like London or Madrid... HA!

I think if you're out of luck, you're out of luck! Might as well enjoy life while you've got it. That's my very irresponsible motto and I'm sticking to it!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

If you have to ask, you are obviously having doubts.

Look to your own thoughts, not others.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,144 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

I agree with linda 52 ezza, if you are having those sort of doubts, don't go. It doesn't matter what any of us say in response, if you are having these strong feelings of doubt, then you need to pull out or else it will be a miserable time for you. And don't feel guilt or feel you have to justify yourself.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

If there was a bomb in Kalgoorlie would you advise me not to come to Perth?

The problem is the West Australian media. They love to crucify Bali.

This shows up in your comment that Thailand seems a little safer. Try checking to see how long back the last bombs were detonated in Thailand and when the last murdered persons body was found at the Bangkok airport. The answer will possibly open your eyes a tad.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,144 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

I'm sorry cempaka I can't agree with you. I still believe you have to allow this person to have doubts and not make a decision according to statistics. We will be going to Bali in December and went a couple of months after the first and second bombings in Bali. That was a personal decision and was not ruled by what may have happened or may not happen. I agree in that things can happen anywhere anytime, but I don't believe we should make someone feel guilty for not wanting to go. They must be allowed to go by their own inner feelings. I would just see ezza having an awful time being worried wherever she/he went and that's not a great holiday.

Ever since these bombings and those in Europe, many Australians have decided not to leave and go abroad. I believe that's their right to make that choice. I still want to travel everywhere, including the middle east but I do that fully understanding that this is can be a very dangerous world and you take care, follow the rules and try not to put yourself in a dangerous position. We also do that when we go out on a Friday or Saturday night into Darwin city. Allow ezza that choice.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "I'm too scared" what do you think?

this is for Whinnie, what have you against Thailand? as for your children being safer in Bali there is a lot of aussies who would disagree with you.

Thailand has there protest, and air port closures, but no bombings in hotels and restaurants. You will not get covered for travel insurance in Bali, but you can in thailand. Aus. Gov have raised there travel warning for Bali.

I am still going to both countries in Oct-Nov.

Hervey