We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor need expert advice

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visitor need expert advice

Hello,

I am going to be visiting Indonesia for about 2 weeks in December (18th - 30, so i'm not there for new years).

I would like to spend about 4 night 5 days in Bali.

Is that sufficient time to soak up and get enough of Bali - i would like to take in as much as Bali has to offer - scuba diving, snorkeling and all the beautiful temples. So is that time sufficient.

In Bali to cover most of the area, where we would be a convenient/ central point to stay and commute from to other spots. I would prefer not to move from one hotel to the other, but i' am willing to stay at a maximum of two hotels.

any suggestions/tips welcome!!!

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor need expert advice

To be perfectly honest, 2 weeks in Bali will barely touch the surface. It's the age old dilemma of too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

Having traveled a fair bit around the world, I can honestly say that Bali is unique in the amount of activities, sites, culture that can be contained in one little island. There are major cities around the world that don't have the diversity that Bali does.

If you really only have 5 days you have to decide whether you want to stay near the beach or in the mountains. I would not waste the time it takes to change locations and hotels. Stay in 1 place and travel from there. You will also have to accept that you are not going to see anywhere near all the temples or other things on your list.

If you want centrality, Ubud is probably the best location, but it is in the mountains, so no beaches. Staying in a beach area will add an hour onto travel times to all bar the southernmost areas.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you could always "assume you will return" and leave some things until you come back.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor need expert advice

I agree with Whinnie. I just spent 10 days there and that was not long enough. If you are only going to spend 4 nights there, stay at one hotel. I would also recommend staying in Ubud for those 4 days.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitor need expert advice

Indonesia is a vast country. 2 weeks gives you a limited time for the vastness of it. Bali is special. Allocate as much time there as you can. If you want to do diving and snorkling, head to Amed in East Bali for at least 2 or 3 nights.

Ubud is the cultural capital and also deserves some time!

Seminyak/Sanur/Nusa Dua in the south are the main tourist areas.. but may not give you what you want

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitor need expert advice

more time in bali would be great but you have two weeks and other parts of indonesia are just as great and different. so 4 nights is better than none.

ubud would be my pick of where to stay for central location about an hour to most things.

this link has activities using ubud as a base.

…blogspot.com/2009/07/ubud-things-to-do-apri…

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitor need expert advice

Thank you all for the valuable suggestions... I think they were very helpful and will make me get a head start with all the planning. I know its a short time.. 4 nights... but we will try to soak up as much of Bali as we possibly can and jsut hope to be back sometime later for some more of Bali!!!

until, I have more questions then... Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitor need expert advice

good luck fitting in what you want to see in such a short time. bali has so much to offer. i find even going for 3 weeks is never long enough!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitor need expert advice

If you stayed in Ubud you could always go to Candidasa or Padang bai for a day trip (or stay either your last or first night there ...) that way you can do some snorkeling/ scuba also.. and it is a lovely scenic drive to /from Ubud..

Mentioned in this post
Candidasa
Candidasa
Karangasem, Indonesia
8. Re: Visitor need expert advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 06:18