We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using other hotel's facilities.....

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Using other hotel's facilities.....

Are you able to use facilities in hotels that you're not staying at? Some countries I've been to before allow you to use their facilities if you either pay a 'day rate' of about £5 or if you purchase a drink or snack/lunch from their pool side restaurant.

I've also heard there aren't many public toilets in Bali, is this correct? And again would you just be able to pop into a nearby hotel and use theirs?

Now this is going to sound silly, but I've used some really wierd toilets in Asia, such as holes in the ground etc, I would assume most toilets are flushable like UK/USA etc? (God that sound so silly when I read it back!)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using other hotel's facilities.....

You can use the other hotel's facilities but mostly it will come with a charge. If you want to use toilets, then popping into a restaurant and perhaps buying a drink (not that you would need one at that stage) but that way you feel okay about using their bathrooms.

As for weird toilets - most you will find resemble those back home, but in some of the rural areas they can be pretty scary - you do get good at waiting until you get to your hotel on occasions!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using other hotel's facilities.....

there are not many 'public' toilets. the few i have come across have someone sitting outside asking for payment. we always duck into restaurants, bars, or a large shopping centre or on occasions asked at shops where we have been buying from. you can try using hotel toilets. as for using hotel facilities where you are not staying a lot of places allow this at a cost. just ask and they are more than happy to assist.

as for the condition of toilets well some leave a lot to be desired. there are flush and non flush ie bucket and scoop. there are toilets where you need to squat and others you would not dare to sit on. there are some 'normal' toilets. for some time now we have been mentioning some good and not so good toilets we have come across during our travels in bali. just take some tissues in case there is a lack of toilet paper and carry some hand wash such as aquim and if you need to pay for a toilet keep some rupiah coins to cover the cost.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using other hotel's facilities.....

Just be thankfull that your not in Kuala Lumpur! To say the public toilets (plus those in even the plushest mall) were a disgrace is mild in terms of what I could say. Got to give mention to the toilets in Stiff Chilli, Sanur. What a lovely scene for a trip to the loo, and a shower in there too!!

Bill

bali
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using other hotel's facilities.....

Toilets:

Kuta Beach: Hard Rock Hotel, Mc Donalds, Circle K

Kuta Square: Matahari Dept Store (2nd floor?)

Doublesix Beach: Hotel Kumala Pantai

Kerobokan: Kimia Farma, Circle K

Most petrol stations have public toilet too but don't expect too much re.hygiene! But of course you can always try to go to hotel or resto, if the staff don't stop you, keep walking!!

5. Re: Using other hotel's facilities.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 07:17