We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Where can i find inexpensive stay in Bali for 2-3 weeks in December? Is their any reliable website? My travel companion reads indonesian language.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
430 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

It will probably help if you would give us an indication of your budget.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Christmas is always the most expensive time to travel anywhere in the world, but Bali is cheaper than NYC and inexpensive/expensive is all relative...between my husband and me, we already have different definitions of expensive! so like the above poster mentioned, what's your budget? :-P

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Yes, christmas is expensive and crowded but we will be traveling in S.E. Asia during that time anyway. Can $600 get me a small villa for two weeks?

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Hi,

When you say villa, do you mean a place with a pool, staff, etc, or just a little bungalow?

e.g. check out allbalivillas.com - for an idea of villas

Or do you mean something like Poppies (a small little bungalow, with room and bath only)?

if it's the former, then USD600 for 2 weeks is impossible.

Which part of Bali are you looking at as well? The more touristy areas are, of course, more expensive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Thanks jade. Just checked the website. Is the price for one night or one week?

I am not looking for a fancy villa. We do not care for the welcome drinks and maid service. Just want to be in Bali. My travel companion is Indonesian American so it's more like coming home for him. We really would like to blend in with the locals since he speaks the language. We've been to Bali many times and he has no problem driving there. I like Ubud but other areas will do. What about a sublet?

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Hi,

The prices on that website is usually per night.

You can try Ubud, but what about Amed, Candidasa. Lovina or even Permuteran? You can google or do a search on them and then decide where you wanna stay? I have stayed in places like USD30 a night - walk in rate in Ubud, but we just had a spartan room, bathroom and breakfast and that was not at the super peak season, when you are planning on going. That place didn't have any internet and it was an upmarket backpacker's type place.

I have also stayed at Kubu Bali in Candidasa a few years ago and we paid USD25 or USD30 for a standard room from www.asiarooms.com

That was a little bungalow and very nice. It had the same layout as The Watergarden in Candidasa then but was more than 50% cheaper then.

So you can check out places like that.

Gd Luck...

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Oh! And get your partner to do the bargaining when it comes to the prices (accommodation, shopping,etc). If you speak the language, you can easily get a far better rate.

I look Indonesian and can speak a few words, so I always get a better rate when I am at the shops (I know that because I see the other people bargaining for the same item in English and I always get it way less).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

thanks Jade again. I met a woman who moved to Bali from Jakarta and she said the price for Indonesian and Westerners are two different ballgames. That was some years ago, I think she said she found her villa from a Jakarta newspaper. Her place was in Ubud, very simple with no swimming pool but it was spiritual and Balinese. Loved it. I prefer a modest villa (or anything) with a tiny kitchen so i don't have to eat out all the time. i am mostly vegetarian so having a kitchen is good. We can stay for the whole month of Dec. or from mid-Dec to mid-Jan or something in between if that makes it easier. Whatever works. Is there any Indonesian on this forum who knows something about that?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Hi peace on earth, Teka Teki House (a B&B) is $25.00 US a night. Not sure if it is available for december. It is in Seminyak though.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inexpensive stay in Bali in over Christmas

Hi peace on earth,

Although I'm an Indonesian, sorry that I can't help much if you are coming through the New Year period. Most hotels already fully booked on Dec.27th onwards.

You also won't go much with your budget for a private bungalow with small pantry. I'll send a message to Teka Teki if her place is still available, although I doubt it.

Hope it helps,

Sandra