We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

I'm considering fulfilling a long time desire to visit Bali at the end of an upcoming business trip to Asia.

I'm a single woman in my 30s - I have 2 questions:

1. Anyone who has visited Bali alone - what did you think? Was it safe? did you meet others? did you feel lonely?

2. Any good guide book recommendations? I'm looking for something that can give me a good overview of the different areas of the island, accomodation recommendations, and tips on things to do, etc.

After some very quick internet research, I'm thinking I might go for 10 days or so and split the time between the beach and Ubud.. Is this a good plan?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

Hi there,

Travelling alone in Bali is perfectly safe as long as you are as sensible and take the same precautions you would in any country.. One piece advice I would give you in that regard though is to say you are married! (You will be asked over and over again - everybody is!) If they ask where your husband is just say he is busy with his work.. Otherwise you can sometimes be considered fair game and get (usually harmless) unwanted attention.

I would recommend the latest addition of the rough guide as a good starting point.

You don't really say what type of holiday you are wanting.. Over 10 days I would suggest starting out with a couple of nights in either Seminyak or Sanur (Seminyak is more upmarket, Sanur more laid back and cultural also more walkable)

Then 2 or 3 nights in Ubud then the last 2 or 3 in either Candidasa, Amed or Lovina.. Part of the beauty of Bali is in the journey so traveling around this much actually works really well if you want to really experience the culture and beauty of the place - Drivers are easy and relatively cheap to hire and mean you can stop at interesting sights on the way.

I would suggest you do some research on this forum using the search button and you will come up with a wealth of information from others

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Candidasa
Candidasa
Karangasem, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

i;ve travelled alone a few times. it has its - and + as much as travelling with others.

always plenty of people in the same boat to meet or others in diferent boats.

lonely planet i think is the best guide book by far.

australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

Definately get yourself a copy of lonley plant it is fantastic ..as for going it alone... I am and i can't wait... no man... no kids.... no hassles...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

hmm Lonely Planet is pretty ok but don't take everything as gospel in it.. just use it as a starting point and I would suggest doing your own independent research on the areas you are interested in visiting in this or other similar forums and then making up your own personal 'guide book!' That's what I do! - It is so easy these days with the internet.. I know a couple of the writers that did the last Bali editions for both Lonely Planet and Rough Guide.. Although they try their best they are often on hurried schedules and these books are written some time ago.. so it is well worth talking to fellow travelers on these type of forums to really work out what to see, eat and do..

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

Thanks Everyone! I just ordered Lonely Planet as a starting point..

In a 10 day trip to Bali, is Lombok worth a visit, or is that too much?

I'll wait to post any more questions until I've read my guidebook so I can ensure they are intelligent ones :)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

it takes me weeks to get around bali. in a ten day trip you can fit in lombok but you will have less time for bali.

these suggestions of places to see (all different and worthwhile seeing and staying) and there are others may give you an idea of the time factor.

centre

ubud

bratan area - candikunning, munduk

batur area

east

padangbai

candudasa

tengangan

tirta gangga

ujung

amed

north

lovina

banjar

pemuteran

west

canggu

balian

medewi

good point with lonely planet - use as a guide as being a book the prices and some info will be out of date but generally it gives a good idea and places to stay, eat, see.

the thornbird forum of lonely planet is also good for info.

my blog has info on parts of bali and lombok that may interest you. look for the posts labelled bali or lombok in the left window pane,

worldtravels-rockterrigal.blogspot.com/

7. Re: Best Guide book on Bali & Going solo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 06:15