We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

I have a friend that eats seafood almost every night that she holidays in Bali, with no problems.

But i have heard of many getting sick from it.......and was told by one person supposedly "in the know", that eating seafood from "those waters" is dangerous.

So we avoid it apart from when we go to Jimbaren and make the one exception.

So we had just about talked ourselves into enjoying Bamboo corners seafood basket next trip, the one we see and drool over......when last night someone told us that last trip he ate seafood in a restaurant in Legian and got seafood poisoning.

Good grief.

So who eats it and who doesn't ?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

I eat it and have never had a problem - my husband has often had sushi and sashimi and never been sick. I really think it depends on the restaurant, the supplierand how it is transported and stored. I eat more seafood than anything else apart from chicken whilst in Bali - I also eat water spinach and never had a problem!

It is the luck of the draw I think.

Cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

I don't like the way they cook seafood at Jimbaren, I have had many a bad smelling and mushy prawn from supposedly 'good' restaurants , the most at fault have been the often lauded places that are "Australian run and owned"

I still don't know why this is supposed to be a plus in Bali.

However, I have never had a bad meal of seafood and fish at Blue Ocean in Seminyak on the pantai..

If it smells at all fishy, don't eat it. If possible ask to shellfish first.

Perth
Level Contributor
403 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

Here is a thread I posted after eating at Jimbaran Bay. Its got quite a few responses, so it will give you a variety of views.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k217…

Perth
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

I agree with Linda, you can't go past the Blue Ocean restaurant for beautifully cooked fresh seafood, we ate there 5 or 6 times on our trip over Xmas. Or go to Lembongan Island, watch the fisherman bring in their catch, see the hotel staff buy their fish still flapping. Early in the mornings we watch this happen, our dinner that evening from fisherman to the plate, delicious. I avoid seafood served at buffets. Also agree that Jimbaren isn't what it used to be for fresh seafood.

Deb

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,144 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

I agree with Linda. We have only eaten at Jimbaren the once, and we didn't really enjoy how the seafood was basically cooked on a charcoal fire.

I also agree that if the fish is smelling pretty much like the end of the jetty, don't eat it. Prawns can be a really nasty cause of stomach issues, as the others have said, if they are soft and squishy don't eat them either.

However, despite all of these possible issues, we regularly eat seafood and have enjoyed it very much.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

Hi PLtt

This may give you shivers up your spine! re Jimbaran/fish

…blogspot.com/2009/05/bali-indonesia-worlds-…

Bali Bollocks:Bali/Indonesia "The world's worst health &safety risk"?

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

We have eaten at Jimbaren a few times......but for the ambience really. We love our toes and chairs sinking in the sand watching candle lights right along the beach and planes coming and going.

Nothing quite like the balinese singing the beatles either haha.

It's the I'm on holiday, this is the life factor for us.

Then we eat the seafood LOL.

But my question was to the other restaurants....I should have clarified.

Bamboo corner do the fabulous looking seafood basket and others have delightful sounding fish dishes on their menu and then there is the lobster.

So I am getting that if it doesn't smell fishy, it should be ok........

8. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:30
Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

I eat seafood very often in Bali and have never had any problems. Like PerthLovetoTravel, I go to Jimbaran mainly for the ambience. I also have to say that living in Singapore, we get seafood to see seafood anytime we want . More expensive than Bali though!

Edited: 09 January 2010, 09:33
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your thoughts on eating seafood in Bali ?

Ahh, Jade < I have the absolutely best food experiences when I am in Singapore. I love it, that and Thailand are my foodie delight places.