We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breastfeeding in bali

clairnoe
4 posts
Save Topic
breastfeeding in bali

Hi,

My husband and I are taking our 8 month old to Bali in 11 days (not counting down or anything haha) and I was wondering whether breastfeeding in public was generally accepted or not. Hopefully most of the time will feed her in our room, but she usually has a feed just before bedtime, while we'll probably be out at dinner.

Was also wondering about highchairs in restaurants and warongs? non-existant? is there room for strollers otherwise?

any advice for travelling with bub would be greatly appreciated.

We are staying at the Aston Bali Resort & Spa and plan to do a tour up to Ubud and another to the Elephant Safari Park.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breastfeeding in bali

Balinese women do breastfeed in public, but I would advise that you do so with discretion, ie have a light weight shawl to cover yourself.

Highchairs aren't all that common but in some of the bigger restaurants you will find them. They will make room for you to take in your pram - Balinese are very acommodating.

Those who have taken young children to Bali will no doubt answer this post and give you some more ideas in regard to taking baby food (not a lot available in Bali) formula and so on.

Best wishes,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breastfeeding in bali

High chairs are very common in most restaurants (I only know of 1 that doesn't have at least 1), if you can't see them when you enter, just ask for one. It really isn't a problem at all.

As for the breast feeding, just be as discrete as possible. The Balinese Hindus will not bat an eye but always keep in mind that 6% of the population of Bali is Muslim. While it shouldn't be a problem, be considerate of all, just as you would at home.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: breastfeeding in bali

Hi,

I breastfed my baby when I went to Bali in Dec. He was then just more than 5.5 months. I wore nursing tops though but there was once or twice I breastfed him and didn't have a nursing top and I didn't use a nursing shawl. There were also other times I breastfed him with a nursing shawl - which was actually a just a muslin/cheesecloth that I used to cover myself.

I did also see another mother (Asian) doing that in public - without nursing shawl. Of course, we just have to be discreet. :-)

Highchairs - I did find some places with out highchairs. That was a bit of a problem. Or, they were too big - because my baby was less than 6 months. At Chandi - a restaurant in Seminyak, they had these lovely designer hand made highchairs but they were too big for my baby. I think that it might also be a bit big for an 8mth, depending on how big your child is. We did put my baby in it and we just kinda stuffed the sides with things.

We did go to the food court at Discovery Mall, but they didn't have a high chair. I guess I need to learn the Indon word for high chair now!

clairnoe
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: breastfeeding in bali

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be as discreet as I can, although I don't think my daughter will like a shawl very much. I'll do my best. Thanks again:)

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: breastfeeding in bali

Am sure you'll have no problems! I don't really like the shawl v much either because I feel it's "hot" for the poor baby under that!

perth
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: breastfeeding in bali

take a stroller with you everywhere, your baby has somewhere to sleep whereever you go. they will make room for it at all restaurants. i can remember many nights going back to the hotel with stroller tilted back up and down big curbs. we had a lightweight one just for holidays. used it till he was four! then gave it to our room boy at the santika. he had little ones, so was very happy

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: breastfeeding in bali

Don't be too concerned, but it depends where you are staying, the more touristy the more you may feel you want to cover up as other tourists may be offended, the Baliense wont at all.

Breastfeeding in public by the Balinese is very common, in fact, a lot of the times it is not the mother but a wet nurse. A lot of our friends have wet nurses. In the villages a lot of older women still do not wear tops at all.

You will not find high chairs in any of the warungs or cheap eat places, I have never been in a high end resturant in the whole time I have lived in Bali so if Whinne says they all have them then they must. Balinese do not use them so not common in the non tourist areas or Balinese run places.

I think the tip about the stroller is good if you are in an area with good footpaths but otherwise try and avoid them in the built up areas such as Kuta and Legian, if you can use a back or front body carrier instead you will have less hassles as the footpaths are not friendly and too many times I see strollers being pushed down a small lane where motorbikes are trying to avoid them, it makes me cringe how close they get.

If you do go to a place with Muslims, yes cover up, as they will feel uncomfortable.

Motherhood is such a wonderful thing to the Balinese so embrace it like they do and stick to Balinese run places.

Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: breastfeeding in bali

Have you considered one of the travel high chairs? They go over the chair like a chair bag with a harness to hold the child in. They are being sold on ebay for about $20.00. Just a thought.

Mandie_8

clairnoe
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: breastfeeding in bali

thanks again all. I feel a bit more prepared now. Will proabably stick with the stroller and take a carrier for backup. Not too phased about highchairs, just thought I'd ask. Am very excited about my first trip overseas!

10. Re: breastfeeding in bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:16