We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Topic
Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

The following information has been copied from a newsletter I receive.

-------------------------

Garuda Indonesia to Apply Visa on Arrival

Indonesia will soon issue visas on arrival on planes. The policy will be implemented on February 1, 2010, during Garuda Indonesia’s flight from Tokyo To Denpasar to Jakarta.

The service has been trialed earlier in late December 2009 on Garuda Indonesia with the same route.

According to the Culture and Tourism Ministry’s Marketing Directorate General, Sapta Nirwandar, the new service aims to increase number of tourist visit and improve the quality of services. There have been complaints from the tourists about having to line up in a really long queue.

With the on board visa on arrival service, visitors only have to buy a visa on arrival payment voucher in Garuda Indonesia’s check-in counter at Tokyo’s Narita Airport. Immigration officers will later check on the passports and issue visas on arrival on the plane.

“The service may also be provided for tourists from Australia and Korea,” Nirwandar said, as reported by the Culture and Tourism Ministry’s website.

The ministry expects the target of having 7 million foreign tourists would be achieved through the implementation of the policy.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

Thanks that's interesting to read...

Lets hope Garuda start to become competitive and compete with their fellow airlines re price's

(pacific blue,jetstar and air asia)

from Australia...

Garuda have always been the best to fly with.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

And the visa approval on board is a great idea.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,920 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

So presumably they'll have a little wooden booth at the front of the plane containing a surly Indonesian guy in uniform where you'll queue up for your visa.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

Wow hnb, you have a good imagination...

I would expect that they would process it during the flight when they want too!!!...

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

everyone could line up on the plane and wait 2 hours to get their passports stamped. certainly a novel way of filling in time whilst on board a long flight. At least you could have a drink and nibblies whilst waiting.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

Oooh! I hope they allow the other airlines to do this asap!

I personally never take Garuda anymore if I can help it. Every time I took it, the flight going to Bali from Singapore was always delayed. I think I gave up after the third time and I prefer to take other airlines...

And if they allow this, then I won't have to end up waiting for my husband anymore! He always gets stuck in the immigration after getting his visa, while I sail pass, sans visa!

Edited: 03 February 2010, 14:44
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,524 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

I'm thinking of starting up the VIP VOA service on-board the Garuda flights with a week break inbetween for R and R. In Bali of course....It's a hard job taking someone's money and standing in line in the aisle of a plane and going down to that little wooden booth with someone who has been in the air for 3 weeks straight saying 'no or is that tidak..the 10USD's, 7 day VOA no longer is in existence and no you can't pay with a half eaten packet of Pringles and a can of Diet Coke' ! Then there's those darn drinks trollies to navigate around and all those people going back and back and forth to the toilets...not to mention the turbulence.....

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

I won't be surprised if what they mean is that they will be giving out the visa application forms on the plane.

I have not heard of any other country processing visa while on board a plane. Too good to be believed. Someone please correct me here.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

hi craneboy they are supposedly processing the VOA ON the plane. you buy the VOA voucher before you board and it is processed by officials on board. once you arrive in bali you do not have to line up as you have already completed the VOA process.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garuda Indonesia to issue 'Visa on arrival' during flights

Hi Soo, I would definately be a customer of yours if you start the VIP VOA service on board the Garuda Flights...............................you would have to be more reliable that most of them now. Go for it Soo.