We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Bali

Adelaide Sth Aust
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Bali

Hi. Going to Bali in May and we want to to travel around the coast after staying in a few days in Legian. Hiring a car seems the best option as we would like to stay 1 or 2 nights in places like Medewi, Lovina, Amed, Candidasa and anywhere that takes our fancy in the countryside.. Hiring a driver would not be OK for this I would think. After reading about driving in Bali I, it has got me a bit worried. We would not attempt to drive in Kuta and the built up areas. Has anyone got any tips or feedback that would help?

1. Re: Driving in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 06:27
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Bali

please type 'driving in bali' in the search box. this topic comes up every week (today in fact). drivers are cheap and reliable. driving is not recommended especially for first timers. wait until you get there and you will see what we all mean. you won't have any problem getting drivers to take you to the places you mention. they can also be helpful by recommending places to stop.

Adelaide Sth Aust
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Bali

To add, we are going to do a round trip meandering where ever we fancy and intend to be away from the Kuta area for 2 weeks. Hiring a driver for 2 weeks or different ones every day in some more out of the way places would be like having a holiday for 3 instead of 2. Have read bali driving blogs and am interested to hear from people who have driven around. Have been to Bali before and parts of Asia but not self drive.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,255 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Bali

We have driven in the built-up areas and also in the country in the past. We would think twice about driving in the built-up areas now because it has become so frenetic.

Country driving is much better, but you do miss a lot with one of you at the wheel and one playing navigator. The signage is awful and at times, we have found the maps not so good. We haven't done what you plan to do, ie a much bigger and longer driving trip. We are usually just going from a to b, so if you can get a gps thingee to help you, good, but it is a pity that you aren't both able to sit back and enjoy the sights with a driver taking care of things, but as you say, it's a long time to have a driver or drivers taking you around the island.

Happy holiday whatever your choice ends up being and make sure you have all your insurance and international license up to date.

Adelaide Sth Aust
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Bali

Thanks Soo, we still have time to plan and there seem to be so many nice places to go. Didn,t get out and about too much last time and when we did it was on organized tours. Really looking forward to the trip.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Bali

It might be easier to hire a driver, when we arrived we had a taxi take us to our hotel, within about 5 minutes of our journey he acidentally hit a scooter ....... everyone was fine, but its a bit manic out there, scooters everywhere! Might be safer to let someone else drive, unless you use to that sort of mayhem.

Perth
Level Contributor
433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Bali

Driving in Bali - it's always a tough one isn't it.

While I can certainly understand your desire to get out there and explore/cruise wherever you want, whenever you want you have to really think about whether it is worth it.

While YOU could drive yourself in Bali, I wouldn't.

I do love the idea of tootling around on a scooter or little motorbike, going where you want, seeing what you want, stopping when you want - all sounds wonderful... but it is really quite crazy over there and no matter how careful you are, if you get into a scrape it'll be the foreigner who gets all the attention.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Adelaide Sth Aust
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Bali

Years ago we did ride motor bikes around but it wasn,t as busy then. We even rode it to Denpasar which was a bit risky . Would never ride a motorbike over there now!. Had a bike and a car in Phuket which I know is nothing like Bali traffic. Took tuktuks in Bangkok

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Bali

Hi,

I guess it would be OK to drive around in the country as opposed to Kuta. We don't drive anymore, but just ride a motorbike/scooter.

I find it far easier to ask for directions when I'm on that. I'm just behind my husband, shout out the name of the place and they usually tell me which way to go. If am on driver's seat, then it's a bit more difficult. For us, we also like taking smaller roads and stumbling upon little villages, etc, which we can sometimes do with only a motorbike/scooter.

That was how we discovered the white sand beach at Perasi many years ago, but now, apparently there is a road to the beach. ;-P Should've kept my mouth shut! LOL!!

You seem pretty confident about driving in Asia, so you might want to reconsider riding instead of driving.

Edited: 04 March 2010, 08:51
10. Re: Driving in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 17:11