We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with translations

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with translations

I know every area has their own form of slang and I've been able to decipher much of what is written in posts/replies. But I can't figure out what the following words are:

singlet

flannels

Can someone help!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,045 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with translations

Well, in the UK we call a singlet a vest, like something you'd wear under a shirt on a cold day, or like a sleeveless t-shirt.

A flannel is a facecloth, a small square of towel that you'd use to wash your face with. You also get them on scheduled flights just after take off, and it's the best thing ever as you take that little bit of cloth, inhale the laundry smell, then proceed to give yourself a rub down with it even though you're already perfectly clean. Then after treating it as the best thing ever, you treat it with contempt as it goes cold and you wait for it to be collected by the air stewards/stewardesses.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with translations

Thank you for the definitions Sir Noodles! Now I can sleep easier tonight. LOL

Here in the States a flannel is best described as a shirt usually only worn when it is cold outside. (IMHO a questionable fashion choice) That's why I couldn't understand why people said they were packing flannels to take to Bali.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with translations

Hi Stinky

You may have heard of an 'Ocker' Definition: A singlet, short and thong wearing Ozzie, nose covered in sunscreen(or zinc) preferably with the 'beer belly' carrying an esky(cooler) full of beer. Look out for them in Bali wearing a Bintang singlet, board shorts and thongs, carrying a Bintang beer.(most are very friendly!)

You may have seen our 'expat' Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee)dressed the part.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with translations

StinkyLou if you stay on this forum long enough we will have you talking like an Ocker and Pom in no time. LOL

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with translations

In U.S. and Canada, a singlet is called a "Wife-beater".

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,713 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with translations

Flannels can also be trousers.... just to add more confusion to the mix, but more than likely, if it is ever mentioned on here, it will be the small towelling (usually) cloth.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with translations

Hi Stinkylouchums

The shirt you describe is a wincey or flannelette shirt, invariably in check pattern, also worn in the cooler months. Wincey is also used to make sleepwear, eg pj's, nighties etc. Bogans love wincey shirts!

Also, thongs in Australia are footwear, flip flops (New Zealand) not underwear!!

Cheers

wendy

western australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with translations

I love this forum! It's just so entertaining.

Singlets can be worn as outer or under garments in Australia depending on the weather, location & occasion.

Just to 'add another spanner in the works' ! In "ozspeak" Flannels can also refer to winter pyjamas- you know the nice warm, daggy ones made from fannelette cotton fabric. No chance of these being handed out on planes or needed for sleep atire while in Bali-thank goodness.

Cheers :-)

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,045 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with translations

Also, aren't vests in the US what we call waistcoats?

In the context of the flannel references dotted about here on this forum, it relates to the small square of towel for washing your face. You'll have to read through 4 years worth of postings though to find out why.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with translations

Or....................I could be really naughty (and I am open to bribes) and I could tell you all..............................................

What's it worth to you, Noodles for me to keep my mouth shut? LOL