We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

central coast
Level Contributor
375 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

Hi All

It may sound like a stupid question and that I have lived in a Box all my life,but are the only documents I need to travel a current passport?

I am in the process of applying for our passports and have found that I need a marriage certificate.Not the one you get from the priest but one like a birth certificate with your change of name and as we where married 19 years ago I can not remember ever getting one so I have to apply for this first before the passport .

Once I get this ,then apply for the passports are they the only things I need other then plane tickets?

Sorry if I sound silly (I am blonde) but dont want to miss anything

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

LOL, love the blonde comment..................but it isn't a stupid question at all.

The only thing you should need is your passport and tickets. I would take some photocopies of your passports and carry them with you as well in different bags in case one or the originals get lost.

Other documents to take with you would be a copy of your travel insurance and contact numbers to in case you need to cancel your cards or contact your bank. Also may pay to take copies of your airline tickets and accommodation confirmations along with any other booking you have made (again packed in 2 seperate locations).

I usually leave a copy of all this at home with someone responsible as well.

If you feel it necessary you could also include phone numbers for places like the Australian Consulate etc.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,331 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

No need to apologise, you have to start somewhere. Pretty much all you need is a passport. If you're flying, you'll need plane tickets which you use upon check in to get a boarding card. On the plane you'll complete an immigration card, then when you arrive in Bali you'll pay for a visa which is a sticker that they permanently stick in your passport.

central coast
Level Contributor
375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

Thanks Whinnie (speedy Fingers)

They threw me today with the marriage certificate,hubby thinks its funny telling me ,'you cant tell me to do that you may not be my wife legally',and I told him if that's the case I want a bigger ring if .I can only remember getting the certificate from the priest and changing my name on licence ect.Not a cerificate with a rego number .

Thanks for that I think ill be bald before August ,stressing about things.

central coast
Level Contributor
375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

Thanks happynoodleboy

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

depending on where you are going:

your passport must have 6 months or more left on it before it expires or countries may not accept it as a valid document.

visas are needed for some countries. most countries you get them on arrival but some places you need to get beforehand.

visas on arrival are usually for a specific period of time eg indonesia 30 days. to stay longer you need to apply to the embassy in australia.

check with your doctor for vaccinations and other health concerns well before going.

do a bit of reseach on your destination. lonely planet are good books available from the library, this forum and friends who have travelled.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport

I love that - Whinnie - "Speedy fingers"!!!!

You'll never live that one down Whinnie! LOL

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport

Hi tash

When you check-in for your flight to Bali at the airport you will be asked by the check-in staff for your passport/s.(they will hand these back to you)

When you enter the Immigration area before you depart Australia you will need to show your passport/s to the Immigration officers at the (booths) similar to the counters at the bank.

When you arrive in Bali the first thing you will need is a Visa $25US(each person) moving on from the Visa counter you will line up for Immigration and your need to have a Immigration card(the flight attendants will pass these out during the latter part of your flight).You fill in all the details on the front and also check that you have filled out what is required on the back.(You will need your passport as you have to write in details eg:passport no, expiry date,where passport was issued etc when filling out the Immigration card) and then put the Immigration card inside of your passport until you need it again at Immigration in Bali. Your Visa will be stuck into your passport and you will be given a 'stub' off the Immigration card, keep this with your passport for departure from Bali and you will also need 150,000rup(each) to be kept with your passport in your room safe as payment when you depart Bali.

I Hope it makes sense!Do you have your passport photos?

Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport

I also take a photocopy of any credit cards that I am taking - came in handy one year when hubby lost his wallet!!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,331 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport

Good idea - also have a photocopy of your passport in case anything happens to it. Makes things easier at the consulate.

central coast
Level Contributor
375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport

Hi Burns

No photos yet ,have to make sure im married first...lol