We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homestay question/recommendations

NYC
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Homestay question/recommendations

Hi---I'm going to be in Bali for two weeks in May, first time visiting. We're looking to balance relaxing beach hotels with lots of cultural experiences..... and we're thinking of doing a homestay for a few days. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how Balinese homestays work, most of the websites I've found make them look at bit more like Bed and Breakfasts. I would love to find a family to stay with for a few days where there won't be a lot of other tourists around and we can get a sense of daily life and have lots of interaction with locals. Is it best to just get there and ask around or should we try and arrange something before hand? We're of course planning on visiting Ubud but I've heard that's a bit more built up now.... are there other areas anyone can recommend that are nice and authentic without feeling overrun by tourists? Thanks so much! Really looking forward to our visit.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homestay question/recommendations

Can only answer the last part of your question, re which area would be a good place to stay without encountering loads of tourists.

I'd recommend anywhere between Padangbai and Amed. We stay in Candidasa, inbetween the two and love this area because it is quiet and you can get to know the locals easily.

I could ask our driver friend if he knows of anyone who takes in visitors on their farm or in their village. Let me know and I will make contact with him.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homestay question/recommendations

Also would recommend that you make contact with Urise - she is one of the DE's you will find on the top right hand side of this forum page. She knows the area well and most particularly Amed.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homestay question/recommendations

Hi there,

I know of plenty of budget accommodation in Amed but not any homestays where you can actually stay with a family. You'd certainly get a sense of daily life & have lots of interaction with locals there. It's a very special part of Bali & my favourite place. My friends have built their own home & have included a bedroom with ensuite bathroom for me but it's not finished yet unfortunately. I've suggested that they rent out my room in the future so it would maybe have been just what you're looking for. I can ask if there are any homes that rent out rooms. The homestays that i know of are more like budget hotels.

Here's a link to a past post which might be of interest to you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297701-i8984-k306…

If I come up with anything I'll get back to you. How many of you are there?

Ursie

4. Re: Homestay question/recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 07:16