We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

melbourne
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

I hope this topic is appropriate for this forum.

Ladies, may I introduce a word of caution re the Waterbom and the slides. Some friends of mine returned last week from Bali with both mother and daughter suffering from raging UTI’s. The mother who is a nurse, STRONGLY believes that the infection came from the use of the slide. The force of the water is very similar to waterskiing. She is recommending protection for females.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

Thanks P for alerting us. Something that is very important to think about if any of us are going to be doing the waterslide thing.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

Ladies wear a wet suit to Waterbom and fella's you can get Urinary Tract infections too! so wear a condom!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

Yeah, I can just see all the blokes putting a condom on their little shrinkage cold water 'fellas 'ha ha.

But seriously, is there any truth in this? Can you really contract a UTI from a pool ???

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

lmao.....wear a condom? That's funny Burns!

Thanks for the warning, not a nice thing at any time, but especially on holiday.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
943 posts
1,144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

That's a pretty serious claim.

Are you able to back it up at all? Other than with someone's 'strong belief'?

melbourne
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

Linda52, you had better believe it. It's not from the pool! it's from the force of water as you go down the slide and enter the pool. The water is not being treated to the same extent as your hotel pool.

melbourne
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

No "camsean" evidenece is not available without doing a water test and involving CSI, but there is too much coincidence and to state as a fact without that evidence, could bring about a lawsuit. This topic was given as a caution, nothing else.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

Hmmm it is an interesting theory.

I developed an infection the day after I arrived home, the doctor thought it was a UTI (tests proved it wasn't) but I had been to waterbom the day before we came home. But it really could have anything, I could have picked it up on the plane on the way home.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

Sorry, but coincidence just doesn't cut it for me regardless of your 'good' intentions.

Is there any doctor on site can confirm this ? :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterbom infections 2nd attempt

As a mother of three girls I always advise crossing one foot over the other and not allowing the water entry (so to speak). What I have found from personal experience though is spa baths are particularly problematic for girls, due to lack of higene by the spa owner and the humidity. We don't avoid either though, life is just too short.