We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help. Never been to Asia.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Help. Never been to Asia.

Hello. My friends and I (5 guys) are looking for a place to travel where we could be at or near the beach during the day and get in some nightlife at night. I've never been to Asia and have been looking at Manila, Bangkok, Phuket, Bali, Tokyo, or other areas if they qualify. Would this city qualify for what we'd like to do on our trip?

Thank you.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Hi Tallchief, I will cross post this to all the forums you posted.

You can find a sandy beach in Tokyo at Odaiba. Unfortunately, after you enter the water you should get tetanus, antibiotics, and other preventative medicines.

Sounds like Phuket is what you are looking for. Try that.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Hi Tallchief,

For what you are after, Phuket does sound like your best option - try Patong. Beaches and nightlife. While Bali also has both these things, it does not have the white sand, clear water beaches that you will find on Phuket. While Patong will not have the best beaches, if you stay here you are close to/ in the nightlife and you can travel easily to other beaches.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

How do you get to this area of Bali from NY? Meaning, what airport do you land in, transfers, etc...

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Hi,

Not sure about the other routes, but you could fly Singapore Airlines from NY to Singapore(direct, if I'm not mistaken!), then it's a about a 2h 15 - 30 min flight to Bali. Or you could go via the west coast as well.

When are you planning on travelling - because that would also determine which country/area is good for you - because Asia has "rainy seasons".

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Phuket isn't actually in Bali, it's in Thailand. From what you have described the others are saying that maybe Phuket, Thailand would suit you better than Bali.

If you were to decide on Bali, I would recommend you look at the Kuta or Legian areas.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Thailand - Phuket is probably the place for 5 guys who want to enjoy the beaches and have a good and interesting nightlife (As mentioned Patong, but it can be in your face a bit). Could consider Koh Samui and go across to Koh Phangan which has a full moon party and is usually very busy with parties on the beach etc. But opposite coast from Koh Samui.

Bali, I would say Kuta as that seems to be the place that people go for drinks, clubs etc.

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Just been to Bali recently and it was awesome. I strongly recommend renting a car. It's cheap and it comes with a driver. I'd say that having a private car at your own disposal makes a big difference in Bali because 1. takes the risk out of getting ripped off by taxi drivers, 2. the driver is your guide, 3. comfort and ease.

If you like the nightlife, Kuta would be the place. Nusa Dua and Sanur do have nice beaches. The Kuta beach is way too crowded for relaxation though.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Awesome info. Thanks. Looks like Phuket it is.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

Hi - Having been to both Phuket and Bali, thought I'd chime in here.. I personally hated Phuket.. (at least Patong, where the nightlife is) the beaches are fantastic, but it is so touristy, crowded, and just plain tacky.. it does have nightlife, but it's the crowded, cancun style spring break stuff. There's no culture, and you could just as well be anywhere. If that's what you're after, go for it.. but, honestly, I felt like from the US, we're just as well off going to Mexico or the Caribbean as flying all the way to Phuket - it's a complete haul. The beaches are great - I will give it that.

I just got back from Bali and absolutely loved it.. again, though, I found the Kuta/Seminyak area (where the busiest nightlife is) to be without much culture, and the beaches weren't great here..

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help. Never been to Asia.

whoops..that posted before I was done.

Depending on the time of year you're going, you might consider a combination of Gili Tragawan and other parts of Bali.. It would be a shame to go to Bali though and skip Ubud, but it doesn't check the nightlife box. :)

The only place in Japan I've been is Tokyo, and I loved it..

Regarding flights from NY (I fly from JFK), to do Phuket, most direct is Thai Airways to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Phuket; For Bali, I did Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong. Cathay was a good airline - personal TVs with lots of movie choices. For nightlife, by the way, if you fly through Hong kong, it's worth spending a night there and going out - they have great nightlife...