We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Oh dear,

We have just come back from 2 weeks at bali with our kids. I am very particular with my research before we go overseas and i did the same this time, made sure we had vaccinations, didn't have ice , only bottled water even at resort at nusa dua, wouldn't let kids fall off the banana boat ride as the water looked dirty ..... yes my husband thought i had gone abit crazy.

I am now sitting here feeling sick in the stomach and guilty, while my daughter was having her hair braided at The Bali Collection ( yes I even worried about hair lice..) my husband took our 5 yr old for a walk to fill in time and came back with a "henna tattoo", as someone else said a spur of the moment thing that we had never thought to read up on and well now have and am shocked. Approx 2 weeks after the tattoo which has now worn off he is left with the red imprint of the batman tattoo, luckily there is no blisters and not itchy but have taken him to our doctor and he is on a cortisone cream which has started improving now, i hope for him it doesn't scar as people say, as my doctor said it looks like he has been branded with the tattoo. As careful as I felt i was unfortunately i have learn't a lesson, i just was there was more publicity out there about this....... I have now also discovered alot of information on this by googling it and on some medical websites.

Mentioned in this post
Bali Collection
Bali Collection
3,478 Reviews
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,344 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Yes, we hear this regularly of the forum and it's almost as if a BIG sign needs to be put up as you depart for Bali.

Some people have even more severe reactions to this stuff, as it's not henna and just some concoction that they mix and call henna.

I hope the recovery is speedy.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Maybe there should be another section added onto “Top Questions about Bali list”. THINGS NOT TO DO IN BALI!!!!!!.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,344 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Good thinking SydneyO...

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

I agree adding it top list, we are off to Bali next week and if I hadn't read of the dangers of the tattoo's on here I'm sure my son's would have got them. I will be telling lots of people about them too!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

i am glad your son will be alright. there was a post about this a while back and the damage caused by the so called 'henna' was nasty burns.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,305 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

There is actually a traveller article on the dangers of Henna tattoos in the Bali Inside pages on TA, written by Snooky I believe, although it's not only a danger in Bali. I can see the merit in having a Top Question about it, but sadly I don't think it will prevent people coming back and posting on the forum about Henna tattoos; believe or not, some people don't actually read the forums or consult everything on TA before they go on holiday.

However SydneyOldboy's suggestion does raise the idea of a general "Travel Warnings and Tips" top question, which could include a link to the Henna article amongst other warnings (timeshare touts, taxi driver tricks, Bali belly etc).

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

yes noodles you are right, i added a warning about the henna tattoos in the bali travel guide. here is the post I linked to the warning. since then there have been other reports of bad reactions to henna tattoos.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k322…

here is where people can find articles on bali and the henna article can be found by clicking on health and safety

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g294226-Bali.html

as you said not many people read this section before traveling.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Hi,

A Do & Don't post could be an idea....

Maybe we could also ad a part on what to bring to Bali as far as medication, mozzie protection, suntan etc...

Water safety of course,

a reminder about money changers but it is covered perfectly in whinnie's link.

Why not extend it to cultural differences....

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Glad I came across this topic,

both my young boys had the (so called)

henna tatoos, 2 yrs ago in Bali

,luckily with no problems but I won't

allow them to get one again when we are

back in Bali next month,

I will also be warning friends

with young kids heading over as well.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Cronulla
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: henna tattoo's - not worth the risk

Just hoping to re-ignite this topis, so that more people will see it. We have just returned and had the same problem. From what I gather my son is alergic to the PPD, which is illegal in most westernised countries and there is a small (legal) amount in hair dye.

Dont risk it, we are going through tubes of cortisone cream and severe itching with a possibility of long term scarring. My 17 year old had a tatoo on each arm. I just hope that he doesn't scar. And I feel terrible or being so gullible and ill informed. I should have take more notice of previous TA posts! I have since spoken to dozens of people who have had 12 months of scarring. I have advised the manager at the Legian Beach Hotel, he was horrified and is taking it further. So dont do it!