We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donations for Schools in Ubud

Darwin
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Donations for Schools in Ubud

We're leaving for Bali in 17 days. Getting pretty excited. Spending time in Kuta at Poppies resort then going onto Green Fields in Ubud. I was wanting to take some stationery items with me to donate to a school in/near Ubud. I work in a school and we have LOTS of chalk here that is unused now as all the classrooms have converted from black-boards to interactive white boards. So I was thinking of taking some with me but do schools in Bali use blackboards and chalk? Don't want to take a suitcase of chalk if it can't be used.

Also any good suggestions of where I could donate it?

We are doing the Bike-Baik cycling tour which ends in a lunch at the owner's compound so I had been thinking of donating it to his local school.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

Maybe send an email to 'newgabe' as she lives in Ubud and I'm sure she would know the answers to your questions.

She has a response on page 2 of the Road Fatalies post and if you click on her name, it will take you to her personal site where you could send her a message.

Hope ths helps.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

This will get you to her;

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/newgabe

Darwin
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

Thanks Soo. I have sent a PM to Newgabe as you suggested.

Does anyone else have any suggestions of schools' needs in Ubud?

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

I visit a small special school on Jl Tirtar Tawar off Jl Raya Ubud run by Kupu Kupu Foundation. It's a wonderful place & I always have difficulty dragging myself away at the end of a day. Begonia the founder is a truly amazing woman! Let me know if you want any more info.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

Hi there Scallywag

I got your PM but I'll post publicly here in case it helps anyone else as well. I agree with Ursie that it can be the 'special schools' that may need more assistance like donations than the government run schools. I've also just had a long conversation about the ethics of supplying donations to the govt run sector. But the schools for impaired kids... no qualms. They need assistance and it's great that you can offer some.

As well as the Kupu-Kupu foundation school ( just a little bit up the road to the Botanical Gardens), there are other schools that you could contact through the (dang, I'll have to reply again cos I never get the spelling quite right!) Sjak-i-tari-us group, which has a place by the Soccer Field. Get in touch with me when you are in Ubud and I'll connect you.

Darwin
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

Thanks Ursie and Newgabe for your replies. Is my idea of chalk any good or do you have any other suggestions of what they might be more in need of?

7. Re: Donations for Schools in Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2010, 05:18