We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

too many Bogans in Bali ?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
too many Bogans in Bali ?

Hi all, this one might generate some comments...

Seen today in the Balidiscovery Newsletter..

www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp…

My opinion is that outside of Kuta this is not such an issue and even in Kuta I'm not sure it's that bad.

Edited: 12 April 2010, 11:44
Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

I read that article last week in the West. I will be interested to hear from those who have just come back and those yet to come from Bali/Kuta over these current Australian school holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

This particular report was printed in The West Australian newspaper.

This newspaper has always printed derogatory reports about Bali.

This is about selling newspapers!

Perth is only a short flight from Bali and therefore provides a large percentage of the Australian tourists to Bali.

If this newspaper can slip in a headline or report about Bali they know that it will sell newspapers and put money into their pockets.

They really do not give a damn about the truth.

Check out which newspaper has reported bird flu, swine flu, malaria, dengue fever, rabies, SARS, typhoid, terrorists, thieves, dishonest money changers, drug runners and various other dangers.

Yep, it will be the West Australian newspaper that comes out tops every time.

Edited: 12 April 2010, 12:01
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,990 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

Hi Ochervet

I agree with the article 100% Last time we were there (last year) we also were embarrassed by the behaviour of mainly young Australians who were badly letting their country down. This seemed to be mainly in the Kuta area.

Screaching, swearing, throwing up, wandering or charging about inappropriately dressed or hardly dressed at all, swigging out of beer bottles in the street or shopping centres. We often felt ashamed to be Australian.

I'm probably going to be thought to be a dinasour, but Traveltom & I travel to an overseas destination somewhere at least twice each year and feel it's important to behave as a guest in another country. Wherever any of us travel to, we are ambassadors for our own country and ought to behave accordingly. This is most definitely not the case in Bali with a particular group with the mind set that they will cause the greatest amount of havoc possible - just because they can and they're away from home.

Travelkat

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

So this newspaper it's kind of your version of the UK's Daily Mail....

Sensationalism over news... a common trend all over the world.

Drunken and loudish tourists (from all over) do exist in Bali but even in Kuta I'm not sure it's that bad.

I'll see next month if it has changed dramatically in 12 months but I'm pretty sure it has not.

Edited: 12 April 2010, 12:06
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

This past weekend's West Travel magazine has around 15 pages on Bali (around a quarter is advertising) and I've just started to read it and it's all positive so far, I'm pleased to say.

One story headline reads 'Full-on Kuta wins over a sceptic...Kate Cambell forgets the humidity and the hawkers and has a ball in tourist central'.

I'll keep reading........

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

How about double airfares, triple hotel rates and quadruple alcohol prices. That will cull out these lower 2nd class young Aussie scumbags. It’s a shame we can’t remember what it was like to be young, I certainly was no saint. Don’t blame the class of people the some areas of Bali attract, blame the people who setup establishments there to attract them. I find it interesting that Australia is the only nation in the world that has Louts, Bogans and Yobbos..

“Screaching, swearing, throwing up, wandering or charging about inappropriately dressed or hardly dressed at all, swigging out of beer bottles in the street or shopping centres. We often felt ashamed to be Australian.” Where and what time of night is this, I’m missing a good show by the sound of things?

Are we really talking Bali here, or any weekend night club /pub area of Australia? If people can’t behave at home why should they aboard. Maybe as a society we should have a good look at ourselves after all these young Australians who were badly letting their country down are the generations that we are producing.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

I looked through the Bali dedicated travel section last weekend but didn't even see that article! I did however enjoy a great story about a guy that visited in the 70's and stayed in a homestay on Kuta beach. He got rid of demons in the house that kept making the lights flicker by magically earthing the power supply!!!!!! The family that owned the house threw a big celebration feast to thank him!

I do agree that there are a lot of bogans in Bali, and agree with travelkat that everyone should behave as a guest in a foreign country. Have fun, let your hair down, but don't lose respect for the Balinese tradtions and culture nor take advantage of or belittle the Balinese for their friendly and genorous natures. I can't believe it when people overtly make fun of them when they have a go at speaking English but mess it up, I wonder how many Australians speak fluent Balinese or Bahasa Indonesian!??

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

Sidneyoldboy,

Well we all had our "moments" when we were young, but mostly it was domestic in my case. Oh and I still have those once in a while.. but here in Dublin it's called blending in ;)

I guess it is probably more surprising for European and North American travelers just because the cost involved to travel to Bali is higher so you might get a different kind of expectation. Then again lots of backpackers from Europe go to Bali too.

I've never been to Kuta later than dinner time, not because of the atmosphere but mainly because it's not what I'm looking for in Bali.

It's easily avoidable but could be damaging to Kuta's reputation if it become more and more popular.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

Hi andrea, if you when you say you didn't see the article in the travel section and are referring to the one Ochervet has highlighted, it's because, it was in the West around 8 or so days ago, if I am remembering correctly.

I think it may have been in the Saturday West from a week+ ago.

We tend to only get the West on a Saturday and that's why I am thinking ti was then, though we did get a couple more papers last week.

Anyway the post re the bogans was a number of days before the travel articles in Saturday's Travel mag in the West.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: too many Bogans in Bali ?

Ochervet,

Any idea what type of person in general, Ibiza for Europeans & Cancun for Americans would attract during summer party season, I imagine something similar to the type of young Australians that are attracted to Bali and I would imagine that it would be fairly cheap do get there. I agree with you about Kuta, if you don't like it, avoid it, I do. As I said before if Kuta didn't want do encourage a certain type of tourist, stop building establishments that attract them. But AHHHHH someone may miss out on the almighty dollar, maybe even an expat.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia