We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed

singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Bali this june. I would like to do 'discover scuba diving' in Tulamben or Blue lagoon (ship wreck). I am still indecisive about that, any recommendation? I will be staying in Ubud throughout my holiday. So what will be my best route to take? Hire a car driver on that day for my transportation or get metered taxi?

Thanks for taking your time to even reading this, even more replying. :)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,981 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed

If you would like to make contact with some expats who live in Candidasa, they are more than happy to pass on advice re diving in Bali.

billandmarcia@gmail.com

singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed

Thank you, Soo-Darwin. Shall contact them for more information :)

Esperance, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed

hi to go to Amed area you would be better with a driver and car for the day

as there is no Taxis in Amed.

so while you snorkle he will wait for you and will be there for when you want to return to Ubud .

Or you could get a driver to take you up to Amed and drop u of and stay a night or 2 and then get him to return on an arranged day to pick you up .

Amed is a nice and quiet village life ,many local fishermen and a couple of restaurants ,we stayed at Waa waa Wee wee Villas 2,

right on the water so peaceful .

we returned 2 years in a row to the same spot so relaxing .

hope you enjoy your time there as much as we did .

Chez

singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed

Thank you, Chez. Wow, seems like I need to find out about Amed given your tasteful descriptions. So no matter where I go, it is better to get a car with driver. Any recommendation on drivers? I found a long list in TA and am lost to choose. What will be the going rate of full day of chaffeur service?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,981 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed

Get onto Bill and Marcia first perhaps. They dive regularly at Amed, Candidasa and some of the closer islands. They can advise you re drivers and so on, unless you wish to choose one for yourself and if so, go to the More Questions about Bali seciton on the top right hand side of this forum page and click on the link for drivers....you will find lots of recommendations.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 08:07
singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed

Hey Soo-Darwin, thank you for referring me to Bill and Marcia. They are amazing...

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed

Tulamben is approx 1/2hrs drive from Amed & Blue Lagoon is in Padangbai.

Amed is renound for it's diving & snorkelling, there are several places you can snorkle directly from the beach. Amed is a 2 1/2hrs drive from Ubud so I'd suggest you stay 1 or 2 nights. There are plenty of budget options for accommodation if you've already booked & will have to pay for your hotel in Ubud. Amed stretches for more than 10km along the east coast & is made up of several villages/areas, some with white sand beaches others with black volcanic sand & others are pebbly. It's a great place to watch local life happening around you & the locals are very friendly. A couple of diveshops you could look at are:

www.adventurediversbali.com

www.jukungdivebali.com

You're best to hire a driver for the day,

If you decide to stay in Amed let me know & I can recommend accommodation. I can also recommend a driver based in Amed that I always use. Rate approx 450,000 for a full day.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed

Hi,

Another alternative if you want to do the discover Scuba in one day is to go to Padang Bai.

The Dive at Blue Lagoon there is nice and gives you a good idea.

I used Gangga Divers at Lotus Bungalow in Candidasa for my Padi Scuba Diver certification, didn't finish the OWD...

9. Re: Advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 06:21