We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

Hi all, we want to take the kids to see the kecak and fore dance while in Bali, I have read on the forum that these dances are performed at uluwatu???

Are these dances on every night at 6pm? How much does it cost per person? How long should I allow to get there from Seminyak?

Also, does anyone know how I can find what dances they perform in the main square in Ubud - sorry I don't know the name but it's just across from the market. Maybe the fire dance is better seen there rather than uluwatu? We'll be staying in ubud for a week also.

Many thanks in advance

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

These two links may help a bit...hopefully.

bali-day-trip.com/Kecak-Dance-Uluwatu-Sunset…

and

lonelyplanet.com/Indonesia/…442014

Edited: 23 April 2010, 16:51
Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

Hi,

Yes, the kecak dance is performed at Uluwatu. However, I'm not too sure about the timing, You can also see it at Batubelig and in Ubud - but in Ubud, it depends which troupe is performing there and what dance they are performing as well. The best troupes perform there though.

I do like the kecak dance at Uluwatu because of the environment - you have the setting sun as your backdrop. :-)

Denpasar
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

Hi

There is a kecak dance performed in Uluwatu, It starts at 6 PM every evening.

Ticket cost at the moment is Rp 70,000 per adult.

You can get a taxi from Seminyak. At least you need to depart at 5. If you want to enjoy ( walk around in Uluwatu), you can start earlier.

There are several dances performed in Ubud Palace, one of them is called Legong Dance.

Both Uluwatu and Ubud has its own interest. You can watch kecak in Uluwatu, and other dances such as Legong in Ubud. In Ubud, they also performed a dance and drama called "Ramayana Balet" which depicts same story as the Kecak Dance.

Edited: 23 April 2010, 20:19
Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

Yes the information given by others is true. One thing to add is get your seats early. I have taken friends many times to the dance and, no matter what time of the year, it has always been full. Another added attraction is the sunset over the back of the stage. There is the opportunity to have your photo taken with the dancers after the show.

Lake Macquarie
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

All the info you have received so far regarding the fire dance in Uluwatu is correct - just thought I would add that we took our kids to the dance when we were in Bali last year. We have 4 boys aged 10 9 6 & 4 and we weren't sure if they would really enjoy it, but they all loved it - especially our then 5 year old - it was the highlight of his trip to Bali!!!! I might add that we went to all the regular tourist spots for kids (waterbom, safari park etc) but he just loved the fire dance. We are going back to Bali in June and we have had to promise him that we will go back!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

Many thanks for all the replies. How long does the dance usually go for at uluwatu?

7. Re: Uluwatu - kecak and fire dances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 05:17