We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

I am bringing my unlocked Blackberry to use in Indonesia in case of emergency and to contact drivers, etc.

We are arriving in Kuta for one night before flying to Yogya and then to Lombok before returning to Bali.

If I buy a SIM card in Bali will it also work in Yogya and Lombok?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Jimbaran
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

Hi AMZ - most SIM cards work nationwide in Indonesia. You can choose some popular SIM cards ie : ProXL, IM3, telkomsel, 3, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

Yes, although depends on coverage of the mobile network.

Telkomsel and Indosat would have the best coverage.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

My phone didn't work when I got to jakarta, it was with Indostat.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

i have used a simpati sim in lombok, it worked fine.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

It will work but you will find you use a lot more credit as it is 'roaming' when you are in Java.. so if it is just for emergencies, it shouldn't really be a problem.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

Hi,

Bought a SIMPATI sim in 2006 in Bali and it worked all throughout the islands I visited Bali, Lombok, Java, Sumatra, Aceh, Pulau Weh and Sulawesi.

Pamela

Mentioned in this post
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Sumatra
Sumatra
Indonesia
Aceh
Aceh
Sumatra, Indonesia
Sulawesi
Sulawesi
Indonesia
Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

My Simpati sim worked fine in Jakarta

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

You can buy a prepaid SIM card and then subscribe for Blackberry Internet Service here so you can continue receiving emails using Blackberry service from local operator. Just buy a Simpati prepaid card, activate the SIM card and follow these steps:

1. Activate the GPRS service by texting "GPRS" (without the quotes) to 6616. You will receive the following notification: "Your request for GPRS setup already received. Please wait max 48 hours for successful activation.” And then you will receive this message “Welcome to Telkomsel GPRS Service! Your service has been activated. Please visit www.telkomsel.com for more information.” Your GPRS service is now active.

2. Register for Blackberry Internet Service. For weekly subscription, type "bbminggu reg" (without the quotes) to 333. For daily subscription, type "bbhari reg" to 333. Daily subscription is only IDR 5,000/day and weekly subscription is only IDR 35,000/week.

3. You will receive a following SMS for confirmation (it's in Bahasa Indonesia):

“Anda akan dikenakan biaya berlangganan BlackBerry Internet Service Rp 180ribu/30 hari utk akses tanpa batas (biaya tdk termasuk streaming, roaming internasional & penggunaan BlackBerry sbg modem).Jika SETUJU, ketik BB<spasi>ON & kirim ke 333.Pastikan Handset anda support layanan BlackBerry”.

4. Just text "BB ON" and send it to 333. If the process is successful, you will receive a confirmation SMS. Pull your battery to restart, and your Blackberry is now operating fully, no expensive roaming cost :)

5. To unsubscribe the BIS, text "BB unreg" to 333.

Edited: 25 April 2010, 14:54
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

And if you just want to make phone calls, just put the SIM in and make calls. You can top up your credit at little shops and stalls all over the place. And if you need to dial overseas on a SIMPATI/Telkomsel card, put 01017 in front of the country code/phone number (wthout the zero) . Much cheaper. I think Xcel and Indosat use 01016. But as a poster above wrote, SIMPATI/Telkomsel are reputed to have the best coverage. IT's odd that the poster above had problems in Jakarta. An Indonesian card bought anywere is not 'roaming' there- it's still in Indonesia. Maybe you needed credit...

Edited: 25 April 2010, 20:15
Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would a SIM card bought on Bali also work on Java/Lombok?

Thanks for all the great info!