We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Inspired by Jobali's story of taking two legs of lamb into Bali, I thought it would be a fun post to hear what others have taken with them to Bali, that might be considered unusual.

Our resort owner took in a full leg of ham one Christmas.

I take my husband in. He's been told by Balinese he looks like Chuck Norris. In Australia he has been told he looks like Rolf Harris and one new year's eve, he had his hand shaken very firmly by a young man who told him that he loved his work very much...he thought him to be David Suzuki - now I would say that's unusual..Chuck Norris and David Suzuki being similar in looks??? But I still take him with me to Bali....tee hee.

I also took my father's ashes to scatter in the ocean off his beloved Bali.

What have you taken in that's unusual?

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Ha ha, yeah I was thinking taking my kids to Bali, they are a bit unusual sometimes!!

I think its so nice that you took your Father's ashes to Bali. I tell my family that when I die I want them to have a nice holiday in Bali and scatter my ashes in the ocean too!!

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Hey there Soo,

How did he get the leg of ham in?

What a lovely thing to do with your fathers ashes off the ocean, was it off "that" special place"'.

Something that was heavily on my mind to bring BACK to Australia was a cute little monkey but that plan sought much resistance.

Pearl Beach...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

I am glad you were amused by my legs of lamb. Being an Aussie, I really like lamb and you can't buy the same quality here. I also bring in Aussie bacon which is better than the local stuff. My son brought over a leg of lamb one year to eat for Australia Day but we didn't have an oven or even bbq in our house then. We took it to a Balinese friend's restaurant and they cooked it on their lidded bbq. We sat around having drinks and talking while the cooking was taking place. It looked good by the end but it was whisked away while we stepped out of the restaurant and carved (actually, hacked) in their kitchen and we came back to big fatty bleeding hunks of meat. I could have cried - my precious leg of lamb.

Another time we brought in a new VHF radio for our boat. It wasn't brand new but my husband packed it in its original box. The customs guy wanted us to pay $US 750 to cover "duty tax". Hubbie said "no way, too much" and in the end it cost him$AU50.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

My dad loved Sanur and most particularly the Sanur Beach Hotel - he stayed there almost every year for over 20 years. We scattered Dad's ashes across toward Turtle Island and when you look back across the water, you can see Sanur and the mountains beyond...he'd be most pleased.

I have no idea how our friend B got the ham in, but he does have a way with those customs people though. Maybe he just declared it. I just think it hilarious that both B and Jobali had legs of meat in their bags.

We had to take a large Vegemite and jar of Spring Valley Gherkins to England for our son and I thought that was pretty weird - the gherkins bit. I know we Australians can't live without Vegemite.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

A friend of Cempaka's and mine was really upset in January because he was not allowed to bring his kangaroo meat into Bali this time. He has been bringing it in for years as he lives in Bali but visits Australia about once a year to visit family.

This same gentleman brews his own beer, so brings in the mixtures from Australia to do it. Yes, I had the same reaction, why???? But he enjoys it and we have heard really good things about his ginger beer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

I have been known to take in my own Heinz baked beans and spaghetti.It beats chicken porridge for breakfast at times.

Jindabyne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Hi

I am flying out to Bali on the soon and plan to take mum Mothers ashes with me, did you just take them with you or did you need to get permision to take them in to the country??

thanks

Kirst

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

I used to be a funeral celebrant in Australia and my advice is never ask permission to carry ashes around. They are not dangerous in any way and it just confuses people to ask permission.

Mind you , if anyone's going to understand about putting ashes in the sea it'll be the Balinese.. they do it all the time.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Hello from a very cold Adelaide. I've PM'd little_kirst and let her know what we did and didn't do....along the lines of what you are getting at newgabe.

Jindabyne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What unusual things have you taken in to Bali?

Thanks so much for your advise just dont need any drama going into Bali as this is a very special trip for me, 10th time and my Mum, 5th time (well sort of) will let you know how i go