We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

I spoke to doctor on Friday and was half expecting her to say we needed to have rabies jabs but no, just swine flu (up-to-date with everything else). Ive done a quick search and cant see that there was any great problem. In fact we only went to Mexico in March and weren't told we needed it to go there.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

Well, your doctor should know what is needed but first time I heard mention of swine flu in a while.

It is getting closer to winter time down under and there might be a return of the flu.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

Hi,

I think they are just trying to offload the huge stocks of vaccine they bought... 'just in case'. There's no need to have this for Bali, but it is 'an advised' immunisation on the "fit for travel" website that most UK GP surgeries use for advice. I've never had it and I've never been advised to have it either, but at the end of the day, it's your choice

cheers

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

thanks guys...not keen on having it largely because i dont like jabs. It was the last one i expected them to say, but will have to go with the advice i suppose otherwise insurance wont be valid.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

Hi,

It could be mainly due to the fact that lots of Australian tourists do go to Bali and that it will be winter for them.

Lake Macquarie
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

Hi - we are going to Bali in 1 week and our doctor here in Australia recommended that we get the Swine Flu Vacc. - but they are advising that everyone here get it. In saying that I wish we hadn't got it at all. I have 4 boys aged 10 9 6 & 4 and for 3 weeks after the injection they were all sick! I don't think it was a reaction to the vacc. but apparently it lowers your immune system, so being winter here, they all got sick. At the end of the day it is up to you whether you get it or not, but if it were me I wouldn't bother.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

I'm go to go against the flow here and advise you do get it. Not just because you are going to Bali, but because swine flu is still about and I think it wise for everyone, especially if you are travelling to get it done. Nothing like being on a plane to expose yourself over a long period of time to someone else's germs, whether it be enroute to Bali or anywhere else.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

Hi Niccol

I'm a nurse (why i have it)and I've had my yearly flu vaccination(it's free through work) and this year the Swine flu is included,(3in1 this year). I missed the Swine flu jab at work last year as i was overseas, and was not fussed to have it this year, but had no choice. According to Dr who works with Health Dept here, Swine flu will rear it's ugly head again this year. If you are in a 'at risk' group eg: elderly, health problems eg: heart, chest eg:,emphysema, asthma,etc it's 'more' advised to have it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

I should have added, it's not compulsory to have the flu/swine flu jab at my workplace, as we are not all nurses, many of the staff are admin, social workers, Physio's etc, it's personal choice and if the Swine flu was not included in this year's flu jab would i have had it(Swine flu) No!.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

for various reaons we have our flu shots every year and this year we also had the swine flu shot.

The doctor said that it was still rife in Europe as they were experiencing winter (we were still summer in march) and when we get our winter (now) we will suffer it.

I also think for those reaons that travellers should have it as a precaution.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From UK - is it usual to have Swine flu jab for Bali?

I don't usually have the swine flu vaccine & haven't been advised to have it this trip